What can I add to my chicken coop/run for them to climb on and play with?

matthennessy

In the Brooder
May 24, 2023
Hey yall, I have 2 hens in about 80 sq feet of floor space in a contained run. As much as I’d love to let them free range, we have neighbors directly around us and not a solid fence. The girls have about 80 sq feet and I give them buckets of dirt, salads, and grass clippings daily. I was wondering what I could add for them to climb on, sit on, and keep busy with. There’s not much space without taking up foraging area for them and I have one thick tree branch that lays on the floor but I’d love to add more inexpensive ladders or logs for them to keep busy and stimulated. (They dig thru the dirt piles within minutes lol) I’ll attach photos of my coop but what do yall use for your girls? I was thinking of collecting more branches, the only issue is it’s hard to keep these standing up without them falling when the girls go on which is why the one I already have just lays on the floor

Attachments

• IMG_2576.jpeg
    IMG_2576.jpeg
    936.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2580.jpeg
    IMG_2580.jpeg
    889.2 KB · Views: 19
Also the off chute on the left is another area for them to run in, it has a little doggy door connected to them main area. I’ll attach more pics of the inside of the coop so you get a better idea of spacing

If you're inclined to build things you can probably build a little jungle gym for them to custom fit the space. Otherwise small scale patio furniture like chairs, side tables, should fit without eating up floor space.

Hey yall, I have 2 hens in about 80 sq feet of floor space in a contained run. As much as I’d love to let them free range, we have neighbors directly around us and not a solid fence. The girls have about 80 sq feet and I give them buckets of dirt, salads, and grass clippings daily. I was wondering what I could add for them to climb on, sit on, and keep busy with. There’s not much space without taking up foraging area for them and I have one thick tree branch that lays on the floor but I’d love to add more inexpensive ladders or logs for them to keep busy and stimulated. (They dig thru the dirt piles within minutes lol) I’ll attach photos of my coop but what do yall use for your girls? I was thinking of collecting more branches, the only issue is it’s hard to keep these standing up without them falling when the girls go on which is why the one I already have just lays on the floor
I bought a chicken roost swing of sorts for my 4 girls but don't know if that would fit in your area. (It was difficult to assemble) I also have a vegetable holder and spike. I placed several branches horizontally with screws on the ends to insert inside the screens for support as roosts. I placed two extra large dog bowls with wood ash, dry dirt ( As I was burning the wood for wood ash. I cooked the dirt on top in a turkey pan to get rid of some of the weird bugs that were in the dirt so that the dirt was all dry and devoid of parasites or anything that was harmful from the heat of the flames) also added chicken dusting powder and mixed all together. It will definitely get dusty in the area from all that stuff, but they love it. They need room to exersize their wings to be happy and healthy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240505_220817_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240505_220817_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240505_221007_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240505_221007_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 11
None of my hens play. Their favourite activities are dust baths and foraging. I have got them swings, mirrors, things to jump on. They would rather lay in the dirt and look for tasty food. The babies love things to climb on and fly from one thing to another. You could do what some people do and turn part of your run into a compost so they always have something to dig around in.

Back
Top Bottom