What can i substitute feed with

chickenlady2004

Songster
Aug 16, 2023
hey everyone, yesterday i ran out of feed for my chickens and goats, my parents flight is delayed and i don’t drive so i can’t go to the farm and get more feed. i need to stretch it out till sunday, is there anything i can give them from my kitchen, that will fill them up and keep them okay till then?

Do you have hay for your goats? Goats don't need grain unless lactating.
How many chickens? Chickens are omnivores, so provide a variety of meats(tuna) and grains (oatmeal)and if you have eggs feed them back to them. Any way someone could bring you some chicken food?

Do you have hay for your goats? Goats don't need grain unless lactating.
How many chickens? Chickens are omnivores, so provide a variety of meats(tuna) and grains (oatmeal)and if you have eggs feed them back to them. Any way someone could bring you some chicken food?
all out of hay!! i unfortunately won’t have someone able to bring feed till sunday, maybe tomorrow if i’m lucky. i have 15 chickens !!

there are lots of suggestions for chickens here @chickenlady2004
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/

That apart, as a short term fix to tide the chickens over until you can get new feed, you can give bakery products; breakfast cereals; breads; canned cooked beans, lentils and other pulses; tinned fish or meat; banana and other fruits chopped up; vegetables chopped up; and let them roam and choose for themselves in your garden.
yes this is only a short term fix i just need something to buy me till sunday or at the earliest tomorrow. thanks so much! i have older chicken starter (medicated) can i give them that?

i have older chicken starter (medicated) can i give them that?

Look at the date of manufacture on the bag. Its purported nutritional values will have been declining since then. If it is very old it's probably no better than sawdust. I also don't give medicines unless they are absolutely required. So I probably would raid the larder instead, and give the chickens human food for a day or two. They may even love you for it :D

You have got a lot of good advice and I am sure your flock will do just fine.
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is cat food if you happen to have some.
It is surprisingly low in protein but chickens seem to like it and for a few days would be totally fine for them.

How about ideas for those goats folks?

How many goats?
Can you borrow a bale from a neighbor or friend?
Is the ground covered in snow or mud? If not is there forage for the goats? A way to contain them so no one wanders off?

Back
Top Bottom