What did you do in the garden today?

Same here @Sueby. We got nearly 2 inches of rain and snow. What didn’t wash away is a frozen crust this morning. It got down to 20F overnight. It’s sunny now and nearly up to 32F. I have no plans for gardening today. It is warming up this week but only 2 days without rain. I really need to prep several garden beds for early planting.

Thanks, I’ll spray too and be careful about thickness. I love radishes regardless, but I’m the only one in the family that does so I have to eat the whole bunch myself.

I’d like to grow mostly greens and herbs in mine. Lettuce, spinach, mustard, cilantro, green onions, basil. Mint. Things we use a lot of year round. Then I can use the raised beds for the bigger stuff that needs leg room. I use a lot of cauliflower in place of grains and potatoes right now, but I’ve never grown it myself. The heads in the grocery stores seem to get smaller every year!
I think you'll like the chips! LMK if you do try them. I tend to throw everything in the air fryer - it's just so easy. I think the GS would be great for your herbs & lettuces if you can shade it. I have my greens where they'll get part shade in the afternoon & I'll add a shade cloth to keep them from bolting as long as possible. I also use cauliflower for everything, my belly doesn't do well with carbs/gluten. I buy the frozen 'riced' stuff in bulk at Costco & use it for everything. My favorite is Chinese fried rice! & as rice in chicken soup. Or mashed, like mashed potatoes. I sneak it in foods on myself. :gig I'm not really a veggie girl, but if I throw a handful in with the meatloaf or fajitas I don't really notice it. The cabbage worms & moths gross me out to grow it & I could never grow enough so I buy it.
Same here @Sueby. We got nearly 2 inches of rain and snow. What didn’t wash away is a frozen crust this morning. It got down to 20F overnight. It’s sunny now and nearly up to 32F. I have no plans for gardening today. It is warming up this week but only 2 days without rain. I really need to prep several garden beds for early planting.
You must have an even bigger mess than I do! At least I didn't have snow/slush first. Did you cover your strawberries? I'm thinking mine might be ok, I found a graph of temps & they were only in the low 20s for an hour or two & they got a darn good watering yesterday. 🤞

I think you'll like the chips! LMK if you do try them. I tend to throw everything in the air fryer - it's just so easy. I think the GS would be great for your herbs & lettuces if you can shade it. I have my greens where they'll get part shade in the afternoon & I'll add a shade cloth to keep them from bolting as long as possible. I also use cauliflower for everything, my belly doesn't do well with carbs/gluten. I buy the frozen 'riced' stuff in bulk at Costco & use it for everything. My favorite is Chinese fried rice! & as rice in chicken soup. Or mashed, like mashed potatoes. I sneak it in foods on myself. :gig I'm not really a veggie girl, but if I throw a handful in with the meatloaf or fajitas I don't really notice it. The cabbage worms & moths gross me out to grow it & I could never grow enough so I buy it.

You must have an even bigger mess than I do! At least I didn't have snow/slush first. Did you cover your strawberries? I'm thinking mine might be ok, I found a graph of temps & they were only in the low 20s for an hour or two & they got a darn good watering yesterday. 🤞
I sneak stuff in all the time because hubs isn’t a fan of a lot of vegetables. Cauliflower and broccoli are pretty easy to hide in meatloaf. I hide carrots in it because the tweenager doesn’t like them. Squash too, zucchini and yellow crookneck.

No I didn’t cover my strawberry plants. I did leave them on the picnic table that gets a little bit of warmth from the pellet stove exhaust. They seem fine and I noticed a few new leaves sprouting. We did get a lot of snow before the rain started. There was at least 1 1/2 inches of it before the rains came. I’m thinking of turning a pallet into a planter for quick growing lettuces and radishes. I plan on leaning it up against the house off the patio so it will get afternoon shade. I want to plant mint at the bottom. My lavender seeds are finally germinating. The tarragon is germinating already. Seems a little too quick to me.

I went to the next town over to pick up some composite fence posts and I saw this mouse/rat trap on display. Owner says he uses them in his barn and in the hardware store and they work a treat.
I told him they don't manufacture enough CO2 cartridges to keep them running on my place. LOL.
Interesting concept though.
https://goodnature.co/pages/videos

IMG_5882.JPG

Yesterday. It'll all melt in the next day or so.

I need some dirt therapy! I'll get it in the green house today.

I went to the next town over to pick up some composite fence posts and I saw this mouse/rat trap on display. Owner says he uses them in his barn and in the hardware store and they work a treat.
I told him they don't manufacture enough CO2 cartridges to keep them running on my place. LOL.
Interesting concept though.
https://goodnature.co/pages/videos
I have heard good and bad about it, in some cases it helps, in other cases it is a very expensive electric device which doesn’t help 🤷🏻‍♀️

Once they're established they spred easily from any branch that touches the ground. At least this is true of my red ones. I'll probably let them take over the raised bed they're in. The red ones make lovely jelly, I should try the black ones too.
A nice thing about black currants is that the deer seem to leave them alone. I'm tired of having to put fences around every plant in order to protect them from the blacktail deer that often come to visit.

Back
Top Bottom