What did you do in the garden today?

OK. I'm done for the night. Still not done with the coops but good enough for now. Put the truck in the barn and covered the sand with a tarp to keep the barn cats out. It's going to rain for the next few days. I don't want the sand to get wet... It's heavy enough as it is.

Also got all the plants that were over-wintered in the sunroom moved back outside except the purple heart plants. Waiting on a new raised bed to come in that I'll put those in.

Planted the lilies, day lily, and gladiolus that I ordered from Brecks. Apparently they couldn't fill my original order because of excessive rain that damaged their inventory. Instead of telling me and asking if I'd accept a substitute, they just sent the substitutes... Most are very similar in color but the bulbs are really tiny. The bulbs I ordered are golf ball size. The bulbs they sent were more like nickel or quarter size. And they doubled the amount... So now I have at least 50 gladiolus bulbs that I have NO CLUE where to put them. I'll probably end up putting them in the same bed as the purple heart plants.

Omg... My body feels like I've been hit by a bus. I'm really going to pay for it tomorrow.

Screenshot_20240423_201452.jpg

I use the hole punch tool. Then put some boiling hot water in a Yeti... Dip in the end of the tubing in the hot water for 5-ish seconds, the connectors slide right on... Easy peasy!
I thought she was talking about the holes in to the mainline.
I use the tool too, when I remember to grab it lol.
But to add the sprinkler ends and the barbs into the 1/4 inch I either use hot water or a flame wand. :D

I got the tomatoes thinned out and their cups filled with soil today! It was hard to throw away the cut seedlings, but I do NOT need more tomato plants!

I forgot to mention that doing tomato seedlings this way is like up-potting, but easier and requires less containers. And I'm pretty sure I learned to do this from someone (or someones) on here!

I used glass petri dishes with paper towels to start seed before, but it wasn't as successful as this self-wicking seed trays. If seeds don't sprout in this wicking tray, they are duds. https://www.amazon.com/Burpee-Cell-Self-Watering-Starting/dp/B00SNLOTUK?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1
View attachment 3809996

I have seen a few YouTube videos on those self-wicking seed trays. They get good reviews. Thanks for the link.

The thing I don't yet understand is that if the wicking mat keeps the plant trays constantly in touch with water, what is the difference between that and just having 1/8- to 1/4-inch of water in a 10X20 tray all the time?

I like to eat them raw when I water my plants. If there are only one or two, they don't make it back into the kitchen. Have you tried them raw?
Eating asparagus and sugar snap peas are my reward for getting chores done in the morning.
Currently, there is only one chick that is distinct from the rest due to having dark wing bars (yes that is one of our dogs staring at them through the window because she wants to be staring at and sniffing them constantly):
So CUTE! Pupper and all. What breed is that one with the wing bars?
I decided yesterday that I need to be growing collard greens, so I just ordered a packet of collard seeds from Baker Creek.
I love collards cooked slow and southern style, I need to find another recipe minus the bacon/hamhock, DP is wary of the processed meat factor.
Yes you do.... They are SO CUTE and fun! 😂
You are a naughty one, @TJAnonymous!

I planted most of the tomatoes today and put the cages around them. If we get more temps in the 30s,it should be easy to get trash bags over them.

Chicks are doing amazing! They had me giggling yesterday because I opened their brooder and put my hands in with palms up. A couple climbed up and tried to roost, and one even started climbing up my wrist and forearm! They are practicing flying. Currently, there is only one chick that is distinct from the rest due to having dark wing bars (yes that is one of our dogs staring at them through the window because she wants to be staring at and sniffing them constantly):
View attachment 3809479
What breed are those cuties?! 😍 I'm pretty sure you mentioned before but I can't remember things for more than 6 seconds.

I'll have to try the tomato technique! I had never thought to do that.

I thought she was talking about the holes in to the mainline.
I use the tool too, when I remember to grab it lol.
But to add the sprinkler ends and the barbs into the 1/4 inch I either use hot water or a flame wand. :D
I have the hole punch tool, two different ones. I use both. My issue is getting the barb into the 1/4". I have the tool... It's useless. I even tried taking it apart and could not get it to actually hold the tubing to insert the barb, it just slides down the tubing and the barb just mocks me. Maybe mine is a dud, I've seen videos where it works and that just made me more mad. 😆😑

Currently I use the multi tool that holds the barb in the very end and press the tubing on with pliers just far enough up the tube that the barb goes in but the tube doesn't kink while I press it. It's an art. It's time consuming. The pliers work great for inserting the finished piece into the main line hole that I punch out as well.

This new irrigation task I have, I'm putting 1/4" inline shut offs on each tube drop... Tedious, but needed; as this particular water run supplies the berries, pumpkins, chicken run misters and a few herbs depending on the time of year. Everything does at least double duty around here.

Today I had no energy. I watered, sprayed plants that are still getting eaten, put up a coat/towel hook that's actually a folding dock cleat. It's nice to finally get my coat hung when the sun comes out in the morning instead of putting it where I think there's the least earwigs. I had been meaning to get this installed for over a year. I have 5 more to put up, but this is a step in the right direction! 20240423_140015.jpg 20240423_140031.jpg 20240423_140025.jpg

Back
Top Bottom