What did you do in the garden today?

The cayenne pepper seeds I got from the seed library didn’t sprout after two weeks, at a guess they were just too old.
Peppers are POKEY!! Hot peppers even more so. I'd give them 3 weeks, at least.

I've had some sprout after 4 weeks. Probably the soil was too cool; they're picky. And pokey.

I've had some sprout after 4 weeks. Probably the soil was too cool; they're picky. And pokey.
Yep. The ideal temperature for sprouting pepper seeds is 80-90 degrees. My house runs around 65 degrees so I mounted a 60 watt incandescent bulb below the shelf holding the pepper tray to warm them up when starting them.

Since peppers are perennial plants, I plan to plant a couple in 5 gallon buckets this year, one jalapeno and one sweet bell. I'll bring them inside to overwinter, then set them back outside in 2025.

https://peppergeek.com/overwintering-pepper-plants/

Last edited:

Sure, I can give them another week. And actually I can start the new seeds separately and if I end up with a ton of hot pepper seedlings…I love spicy food so that’s a good problem to have. 😁

Yep. The ideal temperature for sprouting pepper seeds is 80-90 degrees. My house runs around 65 degrees so I mounted a 60 watt incandescent bulb below the shelf holding the pepper tray to warm them up when starting them.

Since peppers are perennial plants, I plan to plant a couple in 5 gallon buckets this year, one jalapeno and one sweet bell. I'll bring them inside to overwinter, then set them back outside in 2025.

I tried bringing some inside last year. The last one died a week or so ago. 😔 Might have been a space issue, I had three per pot (my gardening space is lacking).

@CatInTheHenHouse - very true. Peppers benefit from being sprouted on a heat mat or on a warm surface, or noticeably warm room. I use a heat mat, and even then, it takes awhile.

There’s a stream/ aqueduct running very near my peach tree. I believe that may have a big influence on the health of my tree.
I bet, I hear they like a lot of water. Your tree looks so good, I'm jealous. Mine is year 3 so it was a heavy prune to get the 4 scaffold branches set up, & then of course the really badly timed frosts. Next year will be better.
We were infested with storm chasers today. I had to redirect two, on my country road, one was lost, the other was trying to stay on pavement only. LOL !HA! Pavement.
I feel like a storm chaser should never be lost. Seems to me like they need a new job, or hobby. 😆
I got all the frost protection stuff picked up.
Same, I'm done covering that tree. Everything is packed up & put away. We got down to 28 last night, the magic number for peach blossoms but it wasn't for long & we had no actual frost.
I just saw this and it got me thinking and wondering!
View attachment 3812956
I saw that yesterday too! I'm going to try planting my pepper seeds that way - they always get helmet head.

Super nice out there, going to go out & do something in the garden, not sure what! Clean up a couple more beds & plant more stuff probably.

Oh they get lost all the time-storm chasers. Especially when they come here from places that have non stop cell service. They get lost by me all the time because this is well service drops. I find them in the road, in the service road, on the driveway. They park and try to figure out where their service has led them, and try to figure out where to go next and how. LOL They literally ask, 'where am I and how do I get to XXX"
Cracks me UP.
Anywho....anyone that wants to see more Nebraska tornado video, YouTube is packed with them today. That shows you how thick they were here yesterday and today.
That said, I'm going to go put 10 miles on the bike before we start all over again. today I WILL remember to eat meals before the weather starts.
No gardening except watering tomato seedlings. I've lost about 10 of the 80 due to a fast wilt. Weird.

Back
Top Bottom