What did you do in the garden today?

We had great weather today. We should stay warm enough from here on it looks like. I tilled, raked out the soil and laid heavy landscape fabric. I then got some planting done, cutting through the fabric for every seed/plant I put in the ground. It was laborious, but the hopefully the thistle meets is match!
I got a bunch of corn planted today - a yellow sweet type, strawberry red and a blue. I also finally planted potatoes. I'm going to try potato towers this year - tires as the base with dear fencing and a few stakes forming the height and filling them with old straw as the plants grow. I transplanted watermelon and sunflowers out into the garden. Tomatoes, squash, cucumbers and several herbs are out in the greenhouse to acclimate and will get transplanted in a few days.

Unfortunately the pepper starts died while I was on a work trip this past week. I'll have to replant those.

Last edited:
I literally read that and heard Gabriel Iglesias say "Daaaayum" in my head.

Seriously though; that was a pretty brutal storm. Storm chasers. I used to relish that drama. I studied to be a commercial meteorologist to work for airports but never followed through. I love weather so much though. I just lost my scholarship and had to drop OU as an option and so, here I am!

I remember the EF5 that rolled through our area when I was a kid. I was with my grandma and we couldn't get a hold of my parents for almost 24 hours. We drove for hours, trying to stay out of the path of the beast. The sky was green all day. It was nightmarish. I can't forget that.

I don't miss living out there. Missing friends at school, learning that they lost their homes, or family members to tragedy. I loved everything else, I mean, aside from briars and sand burs. To heck with those things.

I GOT SO MUCH DONE! BAAAHHHHH! New pool liner is standing; but no water in it yet. We went to the dump for a second time. I hate going there. I feel so terrible making waste. We don't make trash usually, but the pool liner was 6 years old. and it sat empty for almost a year. When I went to cut it up, it was brittle, it was a matter of time; the liner was already leaking in several places.... it was going to fail soon and send 10k gallons of water to the house and well, under the house. It was already leaking in several places, even a few I didn't know about because the leaks were in the middle of the floor.

OHHHH My peas are making PEAS!!!!! YAY!!! Weeeeeeee!

My corn is coming up; both the popping (I always want to say "pooping" Lol) and the sweet corn. :D I'm so happy! Radishes should be next. I planted a bunch of basil, that's all coming up now. I can hardly wait to transplant it. I did my nematode spray yesterday, yay! I'm keeping up with it! I got most of my tomato stakes and cages up. I love it. My hands still hurt so bad; I can't do much for working on irrigation; I can't even open a "pop" can...

Photos of the things!!!!! yay! See attached; I didn't include the corn sprouts, they were too small to really see, TOMORROW THOUGH!!!! AAAHHHH CORN!

Attachments

• 20240426_180200.jpg
    20240426_180200.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240426_180226.jpg
    20240426_180226.jpg
    925.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240426_180411.jpg
    20240426_180411.jpg
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240426_180427.jpg
    20240426_180427.jpg
    930.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240426_180658.jpg
    20240426_180658.jpg
    849.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240426_180722.jpg
    20240426_180722.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
I watered the garden beds that have been planted plus the asparagus yesterday. The temperature is supposed to be in the low 70’s today but cloudy. I’m hoping to plant the leeks, bok choi and sugar beets today in the hugelkultur style bed. Also will be planting the lettuce starts I bought between the rows of sugar snap beans. My Fritillaries are up and blooming. Will do a garden walk to check on the blueberries, pear tree and grapevines after chicken tending.
IMG_6669.jpeg
IMG_6671.jpeg

I don't need goats. I don't need goats. The hubby says no goats.... I don't need goats...

I didn't need goats. and I have got 4 :lau

Yep. The ideal temperature for sprouting pepper seeds is 80-90 degrees. My house runs around 65 degrees so I mounted a 60 watt incandescent bulb below the shelf holding the pepper tray to warm them up when starting them.

Since peppers are perennial plants, I plan to plant a couple in 5 gallon buckets this year, one jalapeno and one sweet bell. I'll bring them inside to overwinter, then set them back outside in 2025.

https://peppergeek.com/overwintering-pepper-plants/

as my climate is a bit strange I am thinking to do the same. only if I overwinter peppers I can have them on time. tomatoes as well.

My heart goes out to everyone affected by the storms. They totally missed us.

We should have off and on showers today. I'd like to get more stuff in the ground, so today would be a good day for that, I think.

I have 4 Seven Sons bushes to plant. I wanted to hold off until the storm had passed, so they should be fine to plant today. I didn't want their first taste of unpotted freedom to be their poor leaves whipped around in a thunderstorm.

Hey, I paid $40 each for them! I feel like they are my babies. :gig

Busy day yesterday. Went shopping for a recliner and it comes Wednesday. Had my cell phone checked and the charging port failed. New phone comes Monday. Had the protection plan. A beehive swarmed as I was leaving for town. They moved into a empty hive while I was gone. Might have been 2 swarms from the same hive as another empty hive had a lot of activity. Rain then a bteak and more rain late afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom