What did you do in the garden today?

Zone 6b Gardner here!
We have lots of stuff coming up and a few blossoms coming through.
Strawberry blossoms pictured. 🍓

Have a question for 6b peeps,
Have you had your asparagus come back up yet?
My plants would be second year crowns this year. Let them grow and fluff out last year and trimmed them back before spring this winter.
Have yet to see any popping up. 😕
Is it to early or are they done for?
I am 6b now, was 6a, but my brand new everbearings have strawberries growing already too. There are no bees out yet, but the strawberries are blooming. 🤷‍♀️
I don't grow asparagus but I know @Wee Farmer Sarah does & she's pretty close, tho not sure of her zone now. I think she said she has them popping up but hopefully she'll chime in.

I'm laughing about riding miles to compensate for cheesecake 🤣

About the darn clothes...never had an issue til the 1990s. Prior to that I could grab anything & not even have to try it on. What they did was add nasty fabrics to the mix, rayon, uncomfortable, scratchy stuff, then they changed sizing. Suddenly everything was huge...a size 2 fit like a size 9. Why? Because the new crappy fabrics shrink that bad? Then all brands decided to have "their own size" & not conform. Well, then I was a size 2 for some things, a double zero for some, or a size 7 for another. It is crazy! It should not have to be so difficult to get something to wear for goodness sakes.
And don't even get me started on sleepwear!!! What woman wants to sweat & wake up drenched? There were No Cotton night shirts or night gowns for years & today they're still hard to find. I got a bunch of men's white 100% cotton T-Shirts, size large & tie died them. Cotton is the best, why are they pushing these nasty fabrics?
I love my Land's End cotton nightshirts.

I don't buy clothes local, everything is cheap and doesn't fit. I buy all cotton socks from Maggie's Organics, and my jean skirts from Vermont Country Store. I've bought from LL Bean, too, And my favorite cotton towels and sheets are from MyPillow!

I'm laughing about riding miles to compensate for cheesecake 🤣

About the darn clothes...never had an issue til the 1990s. Prior to that I could grab anything & not even have to try it on. What they did was add nasty fabrics to the mix, rayon, uncomfortable, scratchy stuff, then they changed sizing. Suddenly everything was huge...a size 2 fit like a size 9. Why? Because the new crappy fabrics shrink that bad? Then all brands decided to have "their own size" & not conform. Well, then I was a size 2 for some things, a double zero for some, or a size 7 for another. It is crazy! It should not have to be so difficult to get something to wear for goodness sakes.
And don't even get me started on sleepwear!!! What woman wants to sweat & wake up drenched? There were No Cotton night shirts or night gowns for years & today they're still hard to find. I got a bunch of men's white 100% cotton T-Shirts, size large & tie died them. Cotton is the best, why are they pushing these nasty fabrics?
My MIL gifted me a bunch of vintage cotton nightgowns from the 60s. I absolutely LOVE them. They just simply don't make stuff that quality anymore...

Getting ready to go out of town for a week and a half. Praying nothing disastrous happens to my garden while I'm gone. Kids will be house sitting and I already know they'll never even notice the garden.

Also in the process of trying to find someone to pick up eggs while I'm gone. I've got 4 broody hens and I REALLY don't want half developed chicks when I come back. Yet another thing the kids won't do... I'm just lucky that they will feed & water everyone and close up the coops at night. 🙄

Looks like a grey. They usually come up first before yellows and blacks. 😊

I get to mushroom hunt once a year... You can bet your britches I'll be outside this weekend looking for some! 😂

And yes, they LOVE apple trees. My in-laws ALWAYS find a good mess in their apple orchard.
We seem to have mostly grays. I found one yellow under an apple tree in the orchard this year. If I could get a decent harvest of morels, I would put more effort into finding them... but I get a headache when I hunt for them, and we only ever seem to find 5-6, and those are in our front yard. I tend to be able to find them on accident (aka when I'm not even looking). When we go out actually looking for them, we find nothing. But there have to be hundreds we are walking past because we have found some, and are on 20 acres, and this place used to be an apple orchard and farm from what our research has told us, so lots of old apple trees.
Zone 6b Gardner here!
We have lots of stuff coming up and a few blossoms coming through.
Strawberry blossoms pictured. 🍓

Have a question for 6b peeps,
Have you had your asparagus come back up yet?
My plants would be second year crowns this year. Let them grow and fluff out last year and trimmed them back before spring this winter.
Have yet to see any popping up. 😕
Is it to early or are they done for?
I'm zone 5b, and they are coming up for me. If we hadn't had those frosts last week, I would have been able to harvest some already, I think (other than the 1 wild spear I found that survived the first frost). They're getting close to harvestable size for me, now. Although, I'm considering leaving them alone this year to get better growth next year....

Mom's bed are built assembled except for the top rails that will wrap all around - hence the stack of boards in the pic. The bed is getting filled with garden soil tomorrow along with a barrier at the bottom to keep grass or weeds from growing up through the bed from the existing lawn below.

1714618777746.png

Back
Top Bottom