What did you do in the garden today?

To all of you florally inclined people, does anyone know what this flower is? I think it's pretty cool, having three different petal colors on a single flower.

View attachment 3828676View attachment 3828677

I LOVE those! They self seed quite well. I had a pot of them on the patio table and have enjoyed these growing in the cracks for years now.

IMG_20220517_190522.jpg

I love johnny jump ups.

I got all the peppers & flowers planted. Back still feels pretty good, I love my new spinal cord stimulator.

It's chilly here, I'm sitting here hoping the pellet stove will come on. Have to bring the tomatoes in & cover the peppers.

I leave for vacation in 4 days! Me & my bestie are going to Vegas to see the Dead at the Sphere. I'm so excited. DH get's to hold the fort down while I visit his family (they live just outside of the city). 😆

Has anyone saved zucchini seeds to plant the next year? I'm planting both Black Beauty and Fordhook varieties, which are bush types. If they do well, I'd like to save the seed.

However, there are enough seeds in the packet for at least 2-3 years.:)
I don't because I always plant different kinds so close that they for sure cross pollinate.

ETA: or I cross pollinate by hand pollinating if they're under cover.

Has anyone saved zucchini seeds to plant the next year? I'm planting both Black Beauty and Fordhook varieties, which are bush types. If they do well, I'd like to save the seed.

However, there are enough seeds in the packet for at least 2-3 years.:)
They should be hand pollinated to prevent crossing. They are in the C. Peppo group. So many verities in that group. Nearly impossible to isolate them for seed saving. I save seed and do some breeding. Seeds from one squash will last you for years.

These will be the only C. Pepo squash I plant. They're both bush varieties, and I wonder if it would matter that much if they crossed.

I'll see which I like better, save seed from one to plant next year. And compare that to the originals. I bet I'll have plenty of seed left over.
You never know what you might end up with, sometimes it's fun! I will let volunteer tomatoes grow just to see what they are, I've had some interesting crosses for sure.

ETA: last year I had a very interesting volunteer squash cross, it was light green & looked very much like a yellow crookneck. Tasted good.

Back
Top Bottom