What is this goose thinking?

Thanks for posting these pictures. It is quite a sight!!
That´s ok, I found them amazing myself!
big_smile.png

You can see the little gozzie escaping. Look at the size of that swan! From what the photographer said, it doesn´t sound like the swan was trying to mate with it, serv. The swan picked the gosling up out of the water, dunked it over and over again, and also tried to fly off with it. It also got another gosling, did the same thing, but all ok in the end, and the rest of the goslings were hiding in the bank. Superb goose parents. Look at that goose parent in the pic...the posture of triumph!

Last edited:
You can see the little gozzie escaping. Look at the size of that swan! From what the photographer said, it doesn´t sound like the swan was trying to mate with it, serv. The swan picked the gosling up out of the water, dunked it over and over again, and also tried to fly off with it. It also got another gosling, did the same thing, but all ok in the end, and the rest of the goslings were hiding in the bank. Superb goose parents. Look at that goose parent in the pic...the posture of triumph!
Was that swan trying to drowned the goslings?

I'm wondering if that swan was kidnapping or was it going to hurt the poor lil gosling? Does anyone have a speculation?

Probably trying to kill it.. .intruded into it's territory and it is defending it's territory.. ..in Alaska on the Y-K Delta tundra swans cause significant mortality in white-front goslings if they see them.

Clint

Probably trying to kill it.. .intruded into it's territory and it is defending it's territory.. ..in Alaska on the Y-K Delta tundra swans cause significant mortality in white-front goslings if they see them.

Clint

Thanks Clint. I think some instinct is a but crazy. How could that lil gosling be a threat? Hooray for the parents!

The swan has created an invisible property line and nothing can cross that line. It's a zero tolerance policy. It is obviously breeding season. Chances are that swan had a mate hatching babies nearby. I see many of my geese act like that during breeding season.

Back
Top Bottom