What Kinds of Ducks Are These? - 6 Weeks Old

Mad Mag

Chirping
Mar 6, 2022
At first, I thought I had a male pekin, a female pekin, and male rouen, but ever since my male "pekin" started changing colors, I've been curious as to know what kinds of ducks these are. All three.
Any clue?

All of these pictures were taken about 45 minutes after a bath/little swim, so some of their feathers are still wet.

20220325_164723.jpg

20220325_165215.jpg

20220325_165147.jpg
20220325_165027.jpg

20220325_165220.jpg

20220325_165249.jpg

20220325_165304.jpg

20220325_165334.jpg

20220325_165535.jpg
20220325_165402.jpg

20220325_171659.jpg

20220325_165550.jpg

20220325_165601.jpg

20220325_165910.jpg

Also, I am aware that the brown one has bowed legs. He was like that when we first got him, and we haven't been able to reverse it. If you do have any idea what we could do, that would also be helpful.

Attachments

• 20220325_165038.jpg
    20220325_165038.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 3
Have you tried giving B complex to the duck for its legs? What are you feeding them?
No, but I'll keep it in mind. At first, we were feeding them some stuff that no one's ever heard of (Keystone Mills "Start-N-Grow", with the company being based somewhere in Virginia - it has a dinky little website that doesn't have a whole lot of information). We switched them over to Purina Flock Raiser (unmedicated) about a week or so ago. Their feather development has become faster since then (they were growing just fine with the other stuff, but their feathers weren't coming in very fast).

For about 3 or more weeks, we've also been providing them a steady supply of Sav-a-Chick Electrolyte and Probiotic. We've also tried mixing yeast into their food, but that didn't seem to do much.

Once, about two weeks ago, I massaged the the joints at which the legs are bent, and for a couple of hours his feet were straight and he seemed to walk pretty normal. I try doing that every so often now, but it hasn't had any results like that ever since.

Also, every brown one we've had always ended up with bowed legs. We had two others, but I didn't know about Sav-A-Chick then, so they passed (rest in peace, Rosie and Daffy). The more yellow ducks have never had bowed legs.

Last edited:
No, but I'll keep it in mind. At first, we were feeding them some stuff that no one's ever heard of (Keystone Mills "Start-N-Grow", with the company being based somewhere in Virginia - it has a dinky little website that doesn't have a whole lot of information). We switched them over to Purina Flock Raiser (unmedicated) about a week or so ago. Their feather development has become faster since then (they were growing just fine with the other stuff, but their feathers weren't coming in very fast).

For about 3 or more weeks, we've also been providing them a steady supply of Sav-a-Chick Electrolyte and Probiotic. We've also tried mixing yeast into their food, but that didn't seem to do much.

Once, about two weeks ago, I massaged the the joints at which the legs are bent, and for a couple of hours his feet were straight and he seemed to walk pretty normal. I try doing that every so often now, but it hasn't had any results like that ever since.

Also, every brown one we've had always ended up with bowed legs. We had two others, but I didn't know about Sav-A-Chick then, so they passed (rest in peace, Rosie and Daffy). The more yellow ducks have never had bowed legs.
Ok so it sounds like they aren’t getting duck specific feed. Ducks need a higher niacin level than what’s found in the other feeds. You can try adding brewers yeast or nutritional yeast. I would give the one with leg issues some of the b complex-let me see if I can pull up the thread on it for you. Also frozen peas as a treat.

ETA: niacin deficiency in ducks https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

At first, I thought I had a male pekin, a female pekin, and male rouen, but ever since my male "pekin" started changing colors, I've been curious as to know what kinds of ducks these are. All three.
Any clue?

All of these pictures were taken about 45 minutes after a bath/little swim, so some of their feathers are still wet.

View attachment 3038148
View attachment 3038149
View attachment 3038150View attachment 3038151
View attachment 3038153
View attachment 3038154
View attachment 3038155
View attachment 3038156
View attachment 3038160View attachment 3038159
View attachment 3038161
View attachment 3038162
View attachment 3038163
View attachment 3038165
Also, I am aware that the brown one has bowed legs. He was like that when we first got him, and we haven't been able to reverse it. If you do have any idea what we could do, that would also be helpful.
They are standing more upright than most ducks so I am thinking runner ducks.

Ok so it sounds like they aren’t getting duck specific feed. Ducks need a higher niacin level than what’s found in the other feeds. You can try adding brewers yeast or nutritional yeast. I would give the one with leg issues some of the b complex-let me see if I can pull up the thread on it for you. Also frozen peas as a treat.

ETA: niacin deficiency in ducks https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

I forgot to mention that recently I've also been giving them some Flock Party (the one with oats, mealworms, peanuts, sunflower kernels, and raisins) as a treat after their bath/swimming time every day.

They are standing more upright than most ducks so I am thinking runner ducks.

Doubtful. It was after a bath, and they tend to stand up straighter while they're preening. Still, I suppose it's not entirely impossible. Any specific breeds come to mind? I see you mentioned mixes, but any idea what kind?

Doubtful. It was after a bath, and they tend to stand up straighter while they're preening. Still, I suppose it's not entirely impossible. Any specific breeds come to mind? I see you mentioned mixes, but any idea what kind?
Where did they come from: a hatchery and if which one.

I second this, a couple of photos look like the ducklings are niacin defficient. Since they're on flock starter, it needs to be supplemented with 1 tbsp nutritious yeast to 1 cup of feed. Plus B complex to fix existing issues.

Back
Top Bottom