What Kinds of Ducks Are These? - 6 Weeks Old

At first, I thought I had a male pekin, a female pekin, and male rouen, but ever since my male "pekin" started changing colors, I've been curious as to know what kinds of ducks these are. All three.
Any clue?

All of these pictures were taken about 45 minutes after a bath/little swim, so some of their feathers are still wet.

View attachment 3038148
View attachment 3038149
View attachment 3038150View attachment 3038151
View attachment 3038153
View attachment 3038154
View attachment 3038155
View attachment 3038156
View attachment 3038160View attachment 3038159
View attachment 3038161
View attachment 3038162
View attachment 3038163
View attachment 3038165
Also, I am aware that the brown one has bowed legs. He was like that when we first got him, and we haven't been able to reverse it. If you do have any idea what we could do, that would also be helpful.
The pink bill reminds me of my pekin x aylesburys at that age- but aylesburys arent common so maybe something else.
I'm no expert on breeds by any means, but the dark billed duckling reminds me of a runner, or perhaps welsh harlequin, a mix breed?

Not sure.

Are you supplementing niacin to their feed?

I second this, a couple of photos look like the ducklings are niacin defficient. Since they're on flock starter, it needs to be supplemented with 1 tbsp nutritious yeast to 1 cup of feed. Plus B complex to fix existing issues.

We've been trying the yeast. Nothing.

The pink bill reminds me of my pekin x aylesburys at that age- but aylesburys arent common so maybe something else.
I'm no expert on breeds by any means, but the dark billed duckling reminds me of a runner, or perhaps welsh harlequin, a mix breed?

Not sure.

Are you supplementing niacin to their feed?

You may be onto something with those. I have, but as someone has previously mentioned, I may give b complex a try.

I should also mention that the brown one's legs haven't been getting any worse, but they also haven't been getting any better.

I was looking at pictures of different breeds of ducks and it looked like the pekin looking one looked like a welsh harlequin

It could very well be. I'll post pictures probably once a week so people may have better ideas as to what they could be. In the meantime, I hope people keep guessing.

We've been trying the yeast. Nothing.
Yeast is good as a preventative but perhaps not the best cure. Could you get a vit B complex? I know the durvet cattle injectable B complex is supposed to be good-

I had a niacin deficiency in one of mine, and could not access the B complex, so treated with flush effect niacin tablets (not flush free) and it worked brilliantly. You could perhaps try adding that to the water? You can get them in store and online pretty cheap.
100mg capsule emptied into a gallon of water, is the dosage I believe. It corrected the issue I had very well. Her legs still aren't perfect, but are strong and no longer pigeon toed. Definitely worth a shot if you cant try any of the better options.
Hopefully works out!

Are you using Nutritional yeast and not yeast for baking bread? Also once there is a leg issue that is when the liquid b complex comes in. 1 ml over a tasty treat daily can do wonders.

Back
Top Bottom