What treats do you give your chickens?

I give mine occasionally: Lettuce, spinach, carrots/tops, beet greens, pumpkin/guts/seeds, Hot Peppers, scratch, flock party mix, flock blocks, Lawn Clippings, soldier fly Larvae, shrimps, mealworms, grapes, scrambled eggs, corn on the cob, & tomatoes.

The veggies are seasonal, & usually get some at harvest.

Flock blocks, they get 1-2 times in the late fall.

I space everything out.

Other treats they don't get very often either. Usually it's once every 2-3 weeks if we get some.

Scrambled Eggs I give if certain birds during molt, if there's heavy molting happening. Or as a snack if I have too many.

Last edited:
I usually give mine oatmeal and some cracked corn but sometimes I buy them fruits and veggies like apples, blueberries, corn, tomatoes, pumpkin, and watermelon. My chickens really love pumpkin (even though they usually only eat the seeds). So what treats do you give yours and which ones do they love the most?
My chickens love fully developed boiled embryos. After several power outages the embryos died, I boiled them and fed them to my chickens. They love them. Where I live these outages happen at times and when the embryos don't develop properly, I remove them from my incubator, boil them and feed them back to my chickens. Actually seems like their favorite protein meal.

My chickens love fully developed boiled embryos. After several power outages the embryos died, I boiled them and fed them to my chickens. They love them. Where I live these outages happen at times and when the embryos don't develop properly, I remove them from my incubator, boil them and feed them back to my chickens. Actually seems like their favorite protein meal.
Whoa wouldn't that be cannibalism?

We routinely grocery shop for our lovlies. Corn, sweet potatoes, cranberries, peas, fruit cocktail, black eyed peas, spinach, okra, cheese, potatoes,…occasional subway wraps or veggie pizza to share. Mealworms with added nutrients and safflower seeds are awesome in the winter to keep their hunt and peck reactions.

We routinely grocery shop for our lovlies. Corn, sweet potatoes, cranberries, peas, fruit cocktail, black eyed peas, spinach, okra, cheese, potatoes,…occasional subway wraps or veggie pizza to share. Mealworms with added nutrients and safflower seeds are awesome in the winter to keep their hunt and peck reactions.
We eat majority veggies/fruits in my house, with sides of meat and grain, so we end up with lots of scraps to share without even buying anything extra!

Back
Top Bottom