What was this for? What kind of animal?

MuranoFarms

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Boyers, Pa
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right area, but this little mystery is killing me! lol We just bought the house this summer, it has 25 acres. About 50 yards into the woods are these 2 structures. (about 50 feet apart) The first one is pictured below. The house is on a 4 acre clearing...yet this coop type thing is well into the woods. Its very sturdy. We kept the Guineas in there for a few hours with 2 sheets of plywood across the top. It's probably 8 feet wide, by 10 feet long. It's 4 feet high.
Here's what I know: The older couple that lived here had NO animals. The man did like to feed the bears though. I have seen at least 1 bear and heard the coyotes howling, so we have lots of predators in the area. Plus raccoons, possoms etc... The structure has no roof or bottom/flooring. It is in no way predator proof. It sits right on the ground, it is not dug in at all. There is a board nailed to a fallen tree next to it, which makes me thinks that somebody spent a LOT of time sitting there watching whatever was kept in the pen. What confuses me is that whatever was in the pen obviously couldn't climb or fly out. However with the amount of predators here, it wouldn't have lasted long till something came in to get it! Also, I can't see someone keeping anything unsecured like that then attracting wild animals by feeding them.
Any ideas?
DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

I'm actually considering clearing a nice path to it, building a roof and using it for quarantine.

Back
Top Bottom