When and how to add new pullets with existing pullets?

ViolentInsides

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2024
I have 11 8 weeks old chicks running around the coop. No older chickens. I have purchased 3 more 6-7 week old chicks and they are in quarantine.

How long should I quarantine them for? They are vaccinated from coccidiosis and Merricks and they came from dirty environment. They basically lived in their own poop in order to strengthen the vaccines.

How should introduce them? I've done some research and I figured just add them at night when all the lights are off?

At that age, I would just throw them in now. They settle their pecking orders a lot better when they're still young. Adding them at night while they're still sleeping is very good as well.

Now you say that they were in a dirty environment. Did you purchase them from a store? If they came from some backyard breeder that isn't NPIP certified, I would quarantine them for at least 30 days in case they are carrying diseases.

At that age, I would just throw them in now. They settle their pecking orders a lot better when they're still young. Adding them at night while they're still sleeping is very good as well.

Now you say that they were in a dirty environment. Did you purchase them from a store? If they came from some backyard breeder that isn't NPIP certified, I would quarantine them for at least 30 days in case they are carrying diseases.
They came from a backyard breeder and I'm not sure about the certification. They're vaccinated with coccidiosis and merricks in their coop had no bedding just poop dust. It was a very dirty environment but they had clean water and clean food. And the chicks seem to be in good health I'm just worried about them infecting my other flock.

How long should I quarantine them for? They are vaccinated from coccidiosis and Merricks and they came from dirty environment. They basically lived in their own poop in order to strengthen the vaccines.
The general rule of thumb is 4 weeks or a month for a general quarantine. That's to try to catch a disease before they infect your flock or your flock infects them. Many flocks carry a disease but they have flock immunity and don't show it. Could be your flock or the one they came from. You can use one of your existing chicks as a potential sacrifice, put it with the new ones to see if any of them get sick.

When were they vaccinated for Marek's and Coccidiosis? They need to be separated from all chickens, including your chicks, for at least two weeks (three is better) after they are vaccinated so they don't catch those diseases before the vaccines have time to work. But the general quarantine is for other diseases and parasites as well.

How should introduce them? I've done some research and I figured just add them at night when all the lights are off?
If you quarantine them for a month they will be a month older. How much room do you have in the coop and outside? No matter what method you use for integration the more room the better.

You can try putting them together at night, that sometimes works. Make sure the coop is dark enough that they can't attack each other until sunrise and be out there at sunrise to see how they are getting along. Sometimes it works fine but sometimes they try to kill each other. Sometimes it works with one group but not with another. You never know until you try it.

Some of us house them side by side but safely across a fence for a week or two before we try. I do it that way. When I put them together it is early in the morning when they are outside. Mine have a lot more room outside so they can avoid each other if they want to.

The general rule of thumb is 4 weeks or a month for a general quarantine. That's to try to catch a disease before they infect your flock or your flock infects them. Many flocks carry a disease but they have flock immunity and don't show it. Could be your flock or the one they came from. You can use one of your existing chicks as a potential sacrifice, put it with the new ones to see if any of them get sick.

When were they vaccinated for Marek's and Coccidiosis? They need to be separated from all chickens, including your chicks, for at least two weeks (three is better) after they are vaccinated so they don't catch those diseases before the vaccines have time to work. But the general quarantine is for other diseases and parasites as well.

If you quarantine them for a month they will be a month older. How much room do you have in the coop and outside? No matter what method you use for integration the more room the better.

You can try putting them together at night, that sometimes works. Make sure the coop is dark enough that they can't attack each other until sunrise and be out there at sunrise to see how they are getting along. Sometimes it works fine but sometimes they try to kill each other. Sometimes it works with one group but not with another. You never know until you try it.

Some of us house them side by side but safely across a fence for a week or two before we try. I do it that way. When I put them together it is early in the morning when they are outside. Mine have a lot more room outside so they can avoid each other if they want to.
I have an 8x12 coop and a 20x12 run. A lot of space to avoid each other. I also am adding 3 so not just one will be bullied.

Back
Top Bottom