When can I allow my ducklings to swim?

MotherDuck433

Hatching
Feb 24, 2018
Hi! I am a new duck mother and I just recently purchased Pekins at Tractor Supply. I have seen videos of individuals introducing their ducklings into the water at a very young age. If I fill it full of warm water is it okay for them to take a swim? Please let me know!

They can swim at a young age, however, they are not waterproof when they are covered with down. This means use shallow water and you have to watch them all the time to make sure none get into trouble. They can drown. Also, they will need a nice warm place for warming up when the swimming is done.

Although it's cute to watch little ducks swimming, it is not necessary for them. I prefer to wait until they have their feathers.

I like to fill the bath with lukewarm water up to their chests so they can easily stand if they get tired and don't get too cold. I brood ducks in the house a couple at a time in a plastic tote with doggy wee wee pads for bedding (I find this is best because I worry about them eating newspaper and shavings), and they can get sooo nasty so a bath can be great to clean them up before handling.

Back
Top Bottom