Where can I find Ayam Cemani Putih ( White Ayam Cemani )

The Ayam Cemani Putihs aren't lower quality birds either. They are just an Ayam Cemani with white feathers, and I believe they should be considered a variety of Ayam Cemani by the Ayam Cemani association, and by the APA. If all Ayam Cemani were just black, and they became quite common, why have a flock of birds that can almost never churn out any other color but black? The white on a black backround is a beautiful contrast image to see. Why cull them if we could make them an official variety that deserves the same attention as Standard ACs
This week's hatch produced another Ayam cemani chick that is homozygous for recessive white. Looks like the white silkie chicks I had when I was young. Not culling this one, but not sure if I want to keep these or not.

This week's hatch produced another Ayam cemani chick that is homozygous for recessive white. Looks like the white silkie chicks I had when I was young. Not culling this one, but not sure if I want to keep these or not.
I've been thinking a lot about what you were saying about the standard for cemanis and how you feel about people breeding the other varieties. I think I can see both sides now.

Personally, I love the other varieties, and hope to raise them at some point. But I get what you're saying about how it's not helping the regular cemanis being accepted or how their quality is.

I think what would be wise (though obviously everyone will do their own thing anyways), would be for serious people to breed heavily to perfect the normal feathered, black cemani so that it can become officially recognized, while maintaining populations of the other varieties so that they can be worked on once the first variety is more stabilized.

Judy my opinion, but I think it might be an idea

I will probably advertise the chick locally to see if anyone wants to take it on as a project. It would be simple to create a line of all white cemanis from a single white bird. I have too many other projects in the works, but maybe someone will want to try.

I apologize in advance...I'm not being rude..but the very beginning of this post is how we have so many different dog breeds and I find it funny lol. And, same conversations. Saying that, i'm newish chicken owner take it easy on me please, I have finally found a helpful place..and I work in the vet world not a breeder of dogs or cats. Just chilling with my bantams.
I consider chickens and dogs to be very, very different. I know some people don't see it like that, but I treat chickens as livestock. By dog breeder standards, I would be running a puppy mill, but for chickens that is ok. Mass breeding and hybridization are standard practices in hatcheries. I practice breed preservation, which often involves mass breeding to distribute chicks to other breeders. I also do some planned, carefully thought out hybrids. These could be considered like "designer crossbreeds" in dogs, and are usually the terminal generation for the line, but they are very welcome in many flocks because they are high production. I hardly think any dog breeders are breeding for largest number of puppies in a litter.

I consider chickens and dogs to be very, very different. I know some people don't see it like that, but I treat chickens as livestock. By dog breeder standards, I would be running a puppy mill, but for chickens that is ok. Mass breeding and hybridization are standard practices in hatcheries. I practice breed preservation, which often involves mass breeding to distribute chicks to other breeders. I also do some planned, carefully thought out hybrids. These could be considered like "designer crossbreeds" in dogs, and are usually the terminal generation for the line, but they are very welcome in many flocks because they are high production. I hardly think any dog breeders are breeding for largest number of puppies in a litter.
Sorry. Obviously you took what I was saying wrong.
Also the point in a puppy mill is as many dogs as possible as fast as you can. Sorry again

Last edited:
I will probably advertise the chick locally to see if anyone wants to take it on as a project. It would be simple to create a line of all white cemanis from a single white bird. I have too many other projects in the works, but maybe someone will want to try.
It would be nice to see another line of White ACs. Hopefully someone does take that chick on as a project. Maybe you could send it to @CiaBia, so she could add it to her program.

It is understandable that you wouldn’t be able to do the project. I have seen your website and you have your hands busy with so many new varieties of other breeds. They all look beautiful.

I've been thinking a lot about what you were saying about the standard for cemanis and how you feel about people breeding the other varieties. I think I can see both sides now.

Personally, I love the other varieties, and hope to raise them at some point. But I get what you're saying about how it's not helping the regular cemanis being accepted or how their quality is.

I think what would be wise (though obviously everyone will do their own thing anyways), would be for serious people to breed heavily to perfect the normal feathered, black cemani so that it can become officially recognized, while maintaining populations of the other varieties so that they can be worked on once the first variety is more stabilized.

Judy my opinion, but I think it might be an idea
That sounds like a reasonable idea. I agree with you.

Just observing here and going to throw out another point, especially because I do agree that chickens are more like livestock. I am a 5th generation dairy farmer - we breed purebred Holsteins and have a herd that the top breeding company in the USA uses on their annual tour (so we’ve accomplished some relatively respectable genetics). I grew up in the show ring. Holsteins are black and white - as the standard. However, there is a rare recessive gene that throws what folks call a “rat cow” because it’s white and tan (aka rat colored) not white and black. Possibly because Holsteins are such an established breed, these are very much recognized as purebred Holsteins. Some dairies, I’ve been told, even breed for that color (they’re actually very pretty despite the funny nickname). I personally like them quite a lot.

I appreciate the point that @Chickenosauurs_RexNo54 made; that the white version is actually bred for in the home country of the bird. That alone is worth some thought, IMHO.

Personally… I would LOVE to have some of these “white black birds”, and would very gladly take the one off your hands @dheltzel, especially because it seems like you’re very detailed about having excellent genetics (something I understand and deeply appreciate!) though I’m certain you probably don’t still have the bird. I believe it is very important to have high standards in breeding animals (especially livestock). Being able to know what you have got is very important - as you’ve stressed, and I completely agree.

I’m actually really glad I stumbled upon this thread. I’ll be checking out @dheltzel’s website now for certain! Can’t wait to see all that you’ve got cooking. Much respect to you all.

Just observing here and going to throw out another point, especially because I do agree that chickens are more like livestock. I am a 5th generation dairy farmer - we breed purebred Holsteins and have a herd that the top breeding company in the USA uses on their annual tour (so we’ve accomplished some relatively respectable genetics). I grew up in the show ring. Holsteins are black and white - as the standard. However, there is a rare recessive gene that throws what folks call a “rat cow” because it’s white and tan (aka rat colored) not white and black. Possibly because Holsteins are such an established breed, these are very much recognized as purebred Holsteins. Some dairies, I’ve been told, even breed for that color (they’re actually very pretty despite the funny nickname). I personally like them quite a lot.

I appreciate the point that @Chickenosauurs_RexNo54 made; that the white version is actually bred for in the home country of the bird. That alone is worth some thought, IMHO.

Personally… I would LOVE to have some of these “white black birds”, and would very gladly take the one off your hands @dheltzel, especially because it seems like you’re very detailed about having excellent genetics (something I understand and deeply appreciate!) though I’m certain you probably don’t still have the bird. I believe it is very important to have high standards in breeding animals (especially livestock). Being able to know what you have got is very important - as you’ve stressed, and I completely agree.

I’m actually really glad I stumbled upon this thread. I’ll be checking out @dheltzel’s website now for certain! Can’t wait to see all that you’ve got cooking. Much respect to you all.
I didn't know that about Holsteins. What do these " rat cows" look like? Well, glad to know your interesting in AYam Cemani putih!

Back
Top Bottom