Which breeds are calmest for kids?

Mary

Hatching
12 Years
May 24, 2007
Just getting our coop built and looking for what breeds we want. Our children are young and we want friendly chickens that are not too flighty or mean. Egg laying breeds too. Any suggestions? I remember my sister having a very tame Buff Orpington that slept on her bed sometimes. We had a nice Barred Rock rooster too. Open to all suggestions! THanks!

Well this is a good question!
I cant go past the silky bantams and light sussex for temperaments but im sure everyone else will also suggest some for you!

Just make sure that the children dont run at them or scare them as any breed will be flighty and nervous and a chicken who thinks it is about to come to harm will get stroppy!!!
I get visitors at my place and if they have kids I always have to check that they arent chasing my chookies!!!it terrifies them.
I love children and love to see the joy on their faces when they see a mother hen with her chicks!!!
But I also teach them to be calm and mellow when around my girls!!
Have fun with your new chickens.

i think all are pretty ok if they are handled frequently...we have some RIR and production blacks which are extremely friendly with my 6 yr old son but he has handled them daily for the last 5 weeks of their lives...they sit on him and peck his hair...dont mind being picked up and cuddled...very cute all round really. We have some 2 week olds ( buff orps,SS hamburgs, white cochins, and salmon faverolles) in the brooder now and he will start playing with them tonight.

Brahmas and cochins are the friendliest in my opinion but I have also had excellent luck with d'uccle bantams.

Anything except a leghorn... I would go with silkies, RIR, and sexlinks. I've had the best luck with the sexlink line I get from our feed store but have no idea where they come from. It's a local place though. It depends alot on the bird and it's family lines. Lots of handling will do wonders though.

I have 2 EE that will let you handle & pet them. They just stand there and let you pick them up. Which is odd because we didn't handle this two alot when they were chicks. But they are sweethearts and they are quickly becoming my 2 favorite girls.

My friendliest chickens have been my Faverolles, Dorkings, partridge rocks and Sussex. I also love buff Orpingtons and Australorps, although I haven't owned any. Yet.
wink.png

I have 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Astralorps, and 2 RIR. They are all very friendly. They follow me just about eveywhere I go. They love to wait for me to dig them up bug while I tend to my garden.
yippiechickie.gif
Sometimes get in the way with gardning.
hmm.png
And love to be hand feed. My 4 yr old is also able to handle these birds. She feeds them talks to them and they let her pet them, they also follow her around too. I couldn't have asked for a nicer bunch of ladies.
love.gif

I got 4 of these hens as pullets,( still are) and they were work with as chicks. The RIR I got from a neighbor. And they too came very tame to us. Good Luck with your new flock!!

Thanks for all the sugggestions! I do understand that how they are handled makes a big difference.
BTW, what is an EE?

Back
Top Bottom