which is best-Poultry nipples or cups

CrazyChookLady5

Songster
6 Years
Dec 6, 2013
Australia, NSW
hi, i'm planning on upgrading my chooks water system to the poultry nipples, but when I looked at the reviews some people said they have had trouble with their chook getting water out of the nipple. so I'm wondering if the cup ones are better??
thanks

Poultry nipples are used by commercial poultry operations for a reason -- they are the gold standard in cleanliness and convenience. However, not all valves are the same, you want ones with relatively high water flow. When these valves are used, 8 birds to one valve is a good estimate. We put two valves on our waterers and this can handle up to 16 birds. For more information on poultry valves check out these articles:

How they work
Poultry Valves & Water Pressure

We use 2 types of the orange cup automatic waterers. I believe the Edstrom waterers are the best, as the internal fittings are silicone and ours are now almost 18 years old with no problems at all. They also make the best trouble free automatic rabbit water nipples as well. The other type of orange cup waterer with the yellow stick thing they hit to release water are good, but the fittings are rubber and I recently had to replace all of them with silicone fittings. I should have done it as i first installed them and will if I order more. We have about 100 of these drink cups in use and prefer them to nipples as they don't drip, if installed correctly and fittings aren't rotten.

Back
Top Bottom