My horses live at home, on pasture, with hay ($45 per big round bale) in winter. Some extra pelleted feed too, in winter especially.
Annual vaccinations are essential, at least here! I usually don't do strangles, but everything else. Mosquitoes or not, I can't imaging leaving out tetanus anyway...or rabies.
Farrier every eight weeks or so, $40 each, for trimming, never shoes.
Teeth need to be checked and floated, every year or so, $150+ depending on issues. Old folks need more, some way less.
Illnesses; at least $150 or more per vet visit with meds. Colics and major issues way more. Colic surgeries $6000+.
Horses are accident prone! They like to damage fences. Tack breaks. Just be ready for these 'little issues' to pop up. They live into their thirties fairly often. Easy to buy, hard to sell.
Some of us are born 'horse crazy' and just go with it. Logical, maybe not, but there it is.
No animal is more beautiful, with more history, and majesty.
Mary

Thanks for breaking it down like that, very helpful. I didn't think about teeth floating. I mean, I knew it needed to be done but didn't realize how often. So each vet visit is what like $500 or something? More? Less? If you have them do everything at once (teeth floating, shots, etc.)

And I would definitely be doing shots as I'm rather paranoid haha

And I agree about horses. They're wonderful, majestic animals which might be why I love them so much. But they are also extreme goofs lol

Having horses at home is definitely less expensive, but in snow country, having access to an indoor riding arena means a lot in snow and rain. I rode a lot more having one horse at a barn with an indoor, than I ever did having more horses at home!
But I discovered that breeding and raising foals (for a few years) was more fun than riding.
Mary

I didn't think about an indoor arena, good point. Maybe I could make one though or at least put a roof over a ring? It's probably very expensive to build one though and just a roof over a ring wouldn't exactly do much.

And breeding horses does sound fun but also seems possibly risky

Yes, they can be. It really is a question of how you choose to care for your animal. I live in Texas now, however grew up riding Hunter jumpers in Missouri. We pampered our ponies, and horses, because we showed them almost every weekend all over the country.
Here in Texas I have found many cattlemen just rely on the pasture as their food, and they don't really feed them grain, or any quality hay or alfalfa.
I am not saying it's the wrong way, just not the way I would do it.
Take the cost factor:
1. Boarding- do you have a place to house them?
If so great, if not, then add that to the expense on top of the cost to purchase a sound horse.
2. Feed/bedding
3. Vet
4. Farrier
5. Tack
6. Misc(fly spray, deworming, etc.)
It could all add up. However is the worth it? Yes, absolutely in my mind! I love them, and will always love them!

Thanks, very good points, definitely depends on the area or personal choice.

I think I would definitely feed a good quality hay and pasture (even if it means I have to plant some) and probably "spoil" them in a lot of ways. But not in other ways because I've heard horror stories of lazy, spoiled brat horses, and I wouldn't want one of those so I'd make sure they also respected me and were trained but you know what I mean I think lol

I used think horses had to have grain but now it seems not all do? If I can avoid it, I will.

All the gear for them probably adds up to a lot though, maybe more than the horses even cost to take care of. I know my other pet stuff adds up fast and they're way smaller. Dog, cat, chickens, fish. Food, toys, supplements, meds, shampoo/brushes/grooming stuff, leashes, collars, bowls, harnesses, etc. I've bought so many harnesses, leashes, and toys it's ridiculous. And so much random chicken stuff, etc. And stuff I "need" but don't necessarily use but just in case, etc. I can definitely see how it would add up. Especially given that horses are way bigger.

Like I said, 'horse crazy'!
There are way worse things to be crazy over...
Mary

Lol true. I'm just animal crazy in general ha

We have an Arabian/Quarter Horse

That sounds like a cool mix

I have two horses. Definitely consider myself horse crazy. If I'm not thinking about chickens I'm usually thinking about horses! I think if you go into the sport/hobby/past-time with the idea that everything will be expensive, not much will surprise you!

For your anxiety, I would prescribe more time in the saddle. Try to find a good, reputable trainer/instructor that takes time to help you and not just throw you on a horse and collect some cash. Good luck to you!

Oh boy, me and horses have some history.

We used to have three horses before we moved. We rode them for a while but my parents are NOT country people, they moved out here from suburbia and rely on me for everything animal/country related. Long story short, we lost any interest in riding our horses and they became expensive lawn ornaments. It basically became a routine of upkeeping their stalls, feeding, and brushing/hoof care for three large bratty dogs. It was expensive in both time and money, and we sold them to people who actually would exercise them and retrain them. I got very badly injured on those horses, to the point where my current epilepsy may be linked to the concussions I got 4-5 years ago riding them. Totally my fault for not wearing a helmet on a horse who knew he could get away with whatever he wanted with an anxious and untrained teenage rider.

Fast forward. I’m now married and my in-laws have a large cattle ranch and several horses. It might as well be a different animal. My old horses would test me, bunny hop and kick, nip, shove their weight. These horses are the real deal, trained to listen and feel carefully for your riding cues. We actually have to learn how to work with each other, while on my old horses it was a constant battle of will.

That being said, I was scared to death to get back on a horse. I have a bad fear of falling, for good reason. My sister in laws are world champion riders (SHOT and cutting) who are constantly at events and shows, so there was some embarrassment too. They put me on a dopey old guy who wouldn’t blink if a bomb went off. Very quickly (2-3 rides) I regained my confidence and wanted to go faster. Now I am on a very well trained younger horse, can work cattle at the ranch on horseback, have no qualms with galloping, etc. I’ll never win any medals but I can hold my own and it’s very rewarding when it’s done right. But their entire family is engrossed in the hobby, so there is never a lack of interest. Do you see the difference I am getting at?

I would say, if you feel like you’re the only one who would be taking care of them or you might lose interest, then don’t outright buy your own. There’s lots of riding groups that you can tag along with, or sometimes you can find a neighbor who needs someone to exercise their horse for them. Start there and see how you feel before you dive in headfirst. As was mentioned, horses are very easy to buy and very hard to sell. As much as I love riding, I don’t think I will be getting a horse of my own for several decades.

I have two horses. Definitely consider myself horse crazy. If I'm not thinking about chickens I'm usually thinking about horses! I think if you go into the sport/hobby/past-time with the idea that everything will be expensive, not much will surprise you!

For your anxiety, I would prescribe more time in the saddle. Try to find a good, reputable trainer/instructor that takes time to help you and not just throw you on a horse and collect some cash. Good luck to you!

Thanks, I definitely think I need to ride more

I have 2 horses. They are fun to hang around and brush. I can't ride either one, but I used to. :D Their names are Dew and Apache.

They sound adorable

Oh boy, me and horses have some history.

We used to have three horses before we moved. We rode them for a while but my parents are NOT country people, they moved out here from suburbia and rely on me for everything animal/country related. Long story short, we lost any interest in riding our horses and they became expensive lawn ornaments. It basically became a routine of upkeeping their stalls, feeding, and brushing/hoof care for three large bratty dogs. It was expensive in both time and money, and we sold them to people who actually would exercise them and retrain them. I got very badly injured on those horses, to the point where my current epilepsy may be linked to the concussions I got 4-5 years ago riding them. Totally my fault for not wearing a helmet on a horse who knew he could get away with whatever he wanted with an anxious and untrained teenage rider.

Fast forward. I’m now married and my in-laws have a large cattle ranch and several horses. It might as well be a different animal. My old horses would test me, bunny hop and kick, nip, shove their weight. These horses are the real deal, trained to listen and feel carefully for your riding cues. We actually have to learn how to work with each other, while on my old horses it was a constant battle of will.

That being said, I was scared to death to get back on a horse. I have a bad fear of falling, for good reason. My sister in laws are world champion riders (SHOT and cutting) who are constantly at events and shows, so there was some embarrassment too. They put me on a dopey old guy who wouldn’t blink if a bomb went off. Very quickly (2-3 rides) I regained my confidence and wanted to go faster. Now I am on a very well trained younger horse, can work cattle at the ranch on horseback, have no qualms with galloping, etc. I’ll never win any medals but I can hold my own and it’s very rewarding when it’s done right. But their entire family is engrossed in the hobby, so there is never a lack of interest. Do you see the difference I am getting at?

I would say, if you feel like you’re the only one who would be taking care of them or you might lose interest, then don’t outright buy your own. There’s lots of riding groups that you can tag along with, or sometimes you can find a neighbor who needs someone to exercise their horse for them. Start there and see how you feel before you dive in headfirst. As was mentioned, horses are very easy to buy and very hard to sell. As much as I love riding, I don’t think I will be getting a horse of my own for several decades.

Sorry for your injuries and the epilepsy! Glad you found some great horses to ride though.

And I'm the animal person in my family. I'm the only one that takes care of the chickens and I mostly take care of the dog and cat too.

Being a wet blanket here! Get back to lessons, and lease a nice calm older horse at the barn. Any of these might put you off even more than you are now! While 'bomb proof' is relative, and uncertain, none of these, cute as they are, are advertised that way. There's too young, too inexperienced or trained, and fearful. Don't even look at craigslist!!!
Remember "easy to buy, and hard to sell"!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom