Why are my female rouen ducks attacking female pekin

Wildbill5566

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2022
I recently got 2 young female rouen ducks along with 1 female pekin. Ever since I’ve got them the rouens bully on the pekin. What could I do? I’ve tried separating the mean ones from the pekin etc. any advice will help! Thanks!!

Attachments

• AC3BCBB4-77AD-4942-92F2-AF38826078FA.jpeg
    AC3BCBB4-77AD-4942-92F2-AF38826078FA.jpeg
    466.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 15F515BA-2F54-4EF8-9BBC-B66C9BDAD9E0.jpeg
    15F515BA-2F54-4EF8-9BBC-B66C9BDAD9E0.jpeg
    450.7 KB · Views: 6
Are all the same age and come from the same place? I see a drake how is he with the Pekin?
That is a tag for a member who has experience related to your question.

Personally I let my ducks work out their own pecking order. Removing ducks can mean they have to start the show for dominance again. Many on the site do separate when fighting occurs.
It's great when they have some scuffles and then all is worked out but sometimes it just doesn't work and the poor duck that is being picked on is so stressed it can lead to sickness. Especially if she is bullied away from food and water. I have 11 yr old Muscovy females who have to go through time out because they can pick on one of their own. At time for bed I won't tolerate one picking on another when there is no place for the one being picked on to get away. I keep a large dog crate in my largest coop and that is time out overnight. Try and watch to see what is triggering this behavior. Possibly even the color of her feathers? Rouens being dark colored and the Pekin being white may have something to do with it. Separating the Pekin with the lesser bully might work to start to solve this let them be together for a week or less depending on how it goes, then introduce the other to them and see if that helps with the behavior. How old are they because hormones is what usually causes the bullying here

I see a very small white duck. Is she pure Pekin, or a mix? I concur with Miss Lydia about different colours. They do tend to 'hang out' with similarly coloured ducks.

How they know what they themselves look like I have no idea! Perhaps they gaze at their reflection in the pool water?

That is a tag for a member who has experience related to your question.

Personally I let my ducks work out their own pecking order. Removing ducks can mean they have to start the show for dominance again. Many on the site do separate when fighting occurs.
Oh ok! My first day here haha. Thanks!

Are all the same age and come from the same place? I see a drake how is he with the Pekin?

It's great when they have some scuffles and then all is worked out but sometimes it just doesn't work and the poor duck that is being picked on is so stressed it can lead to sickness. Especially if she is bullied away from food and water. I have 11 yr old Muscovy females who have to go through time out because they can pick on one of their own. At time for bed I won't tolerate one picking on another when there is no place for the one being picked on to get away. I keep a large dog crate in my largest coop and that is time out overnight. Try and watch to see what is triggering this behavior. Possibly even the color of her feathers? Rouens being dark colored and the Pekin being white may have something to do with it. Separating the Pekin with the lesser bully might work to start to solve this let them be together for a week or less depending on how it goes, then introduce the other to them and see if that helps with the behavior. How old are they because hormones is what usually causes the bullying here

I got the pekin,

I see a very small white duck. Is she pure Pekin, or a mix? I concur with Miss Lydia about different colours. They do tend to 'hang out' with similarly coloured ducks.

How they know what they themselves look like I have no idea! Perhaps they gaze at their reflection in the pool water?
Yes pure pekin. The pekin is 2 months old roughly. Rouens are about 6 months old. The drake that I have seems to be friendly enough with pekin. I raised a pair of straight run khakis in April and a racoon grabbed one in the old pen (now it’s 100% coon proof) now I just have one drake. They don’t seem to pull out feathers out of the pekin but mostly dig in the feathers like the duck has something in the feathers. But maybe they’re picking on the pekin because it’s younger/white?

I recently got 2 young female rouen ducks along with 1 female pekin. Ever since I’ve got them the rouens bully on the pekin. What could I do? I’ve tried separating the mean ones from the pekin etc. any advice will help! Thanks!!
Did you integrate them slowly by the see but not touch method. I do that for weeks with my ducklings and would do it for at least a week if I had older ones. I did get two Call Ducks this summer and only had to do it for 24 hours and they were both fine with my 8 hens. My Drakes are still in Drake jail. Time will tell about that in another month when they are pardoned. lol

Back
Top Bottom