Why do ducks stomp in a mud puddle

x2! I found another BYCer who has special needs ducks and is interested in participating, too.
That would be cool i think we should do it
smile.png

I only have one female and one drake. She layes her eggs all in one spot and has made a nice nest for them but I never see her sitting on them. I guess she lays her eggs at night. I just wish she would start sitting on them. She has 8 in there now, was 9 but one got smashed I guess, don't know what happened to it. I have tried letting my broody hen sit on some of her earlier eggs but most of them went south (if you know what i mean). So I brought in the others and started incubating them. They did well for a few days then movement stopped. So i figured to let mother nature take over. My broody hen (Penny) is sitting on 19 chicken eggs and my pekin has 8 in her nest. Just keeping fingers crossed.
hmm.png

I only have one female and one drake. She layes her eggs all in one spot and has made a nice nest for them but I never see her sitting on them. I guess she lays her eggs at night. I just wish she would start sitting on them. She has 8 in there now, was 9 but one got smashed I guess, don't know what happened to it. I have tried letting my broody hen sit on some of her earlier eggs but most of them went south (if you know what i mean). So I brought in the others and started incubating them. They did well for a few days then movement stopped. So i figured to let mother nature take over. My broody hen (Penny) is sitting on 19 chicken eggs and my pekin has 8 in her nest. Just keeping fingers crossed.
hmm.png
see what happens after she lays like 13 my duck didn't start sitting on her nest full time until she had 18 eggs..
smile.png

ya but if I let them sit for so long won't they rot? She lays like 1 egg a day.
No i don't thinks so mine had full nest like 18 eggs before she starting sitting on them after she died and we found the nest and the eggs were at day 6 of development they looked good and healthy so we tried to incubate and they seemed to develop fine but we started to lose them around day 23. I am not a expert on this matter but from what i have been told if they are going to sit on a nest it will be after they have a good amount of eggs in it

No i don't thinks so mine had full nest like 18 eggs before she starting sitting on them after she died and we found the nest and the eggs were at day 6 of development they looked good and healthy so we tried to incubate and they seemed to develop fine but we started to lose them around day 23. I am not a expert on this matter but from what i have been told if they are going to sit on a nest it will be after they have a good amount of eggs in it
Oh and if you don't want duckling just collect them everyday the will not start to develop unless she has sat on them full time and even if they are fertile eggs you can still eat them

Back
Top Bottom