Sponsored Post Why should you care about worms in your birds? What can you do about them?

I haven't posted in a long time, but concerning parasites in chickens, I use DE (Diathimatious Earth) (sp)....I have a 50# bag and I use it to sprinkle for mites & I also add to their feed and put water in their feed to make sure they eat it. I worms them and keeps the mites away. I also put it in their nesting area.

I haven't posted in a long time, but concerning parasites in chickens, I use DE (Diathimatious Earth) (sp)....I have a 50# bag and I use it to sprinkle for mites & I also add to their feed and put water in their feed to make sure they eat it. I worms them and keeps the mites away. I also put it in their nesting area.
Have you actually seen mites or have you just been lucky to not have to deal with them yet.
DE does not kill mites nor does it prevent them from eating your chickens alive.

I have not seen them I just started off doing that to prevent getting them in the first place. I have a lot of wild birds that eat from my chicken area as well, and they all get DE every so often, if they decide they to eat here. I do it regularly every few months. Maybe I have been lucky. Hope that helps.

I have not seen them I just started off doing that to prevent getting them in the first place. I have a lot of wild birds that eat from my chicken area as well, and they all get DE every so often, if they decide they to eat here. I do it regularly every few months. Maybe I have been lucky. Hope that helps.
You have been lucky.
Congrats so far.

You have been lucky.
Congrats so far.
I'm kinda busy right now, when I have time I can point out 100's of recent posts from real life users of DE that are dealing with horrible mites right now.
Not last year..all within the last few weeks.
each and everyone of these people used DE as a preventative ...as swore by it...until they actually saw all the bugs everywhere...
One just posted about the mites crawling all over eggs in the nest. If you know mites..they hid during the day and come out at night to eat your chicken. Them being all over a eggs in a nest during the day WITH DE in the nest....NOT GOOD.

I'm kinda busy right now, when I have time I can point out 100's of recent posts from real life users of DE that are dealing with horrible mites right now.
Not last year..all within the last few weeks.
each and everyone of these people used DE as a preventative ...as swore by it...until they actually saw all the bugs everywhere...
One just posted about the mites crawling all over eggs in the nest. If you know mites..they hid during the day and come out at night to eat your chicken. Them being all over a eggs in a nest during the day WITH DE in the nest....NOT GOOD.

I had mites a year ago. I understood it by seeing blood stains on the roost. there were tiny red lines and spots. I painted the coop with the white wash and some blue stone and vinegar in it (limestone, salt, vinegar, blue stone and water). I have never had them since.

I've been having good results using diatomaceous earth. When the coop/hen house gets cleaned, it gets generously sprinkled on the hay and in the nests. Once every four months, I mix some food grade diatomaceous earth with their food. This method is working very well for my four girls.
While DE is good for other worms with at least 4 months of constant use, DE will not remove tape worms. It takes a long time to work too. I fed it to my cats all winter and they showed no signs of worms except tape worms were present. The outside covering on tapes is too thick for it to do anything. I read a report by 2 vets stating this too. Do some research and you'll see.

While DE is good for other worms with at least 4 months of constant use, DE will not remove tape worms. It takes a long time to work too. I fed it to my cats all winter and they showed no signs of worms except tape worms were present. The outside covering on tapes is too thick for it to do anything. I read a report by 2 vets stating this too. Do some research and you'll see.
I'm not talking about cats.

What medicine can I buy at a Tractor Supply or a Sourhern States store that will kill tapeworms?

I cannot answer your question but in my case only praziquantel kill tapeworms. it is not for chickens though. I use dog's pills.

I posted somewhere at the beginning of this thread a recipe for a natural staff mix that killed a tapeworm in my flock.

Back
Top Bottom