Wide stance/enlarged hips

Pics

Ourgosling22

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Central texas
Hi everyone-
Thought I’d try again to see if anyone who hasn’t seen might have an opinion.
One of my 2 young goslings has a wide stance/looks like enlarged hips. Struggling to find the cause and what I can do if anything. A vet has been unsuccessful due to no knowledge on birds like this. He walks sloppily and does seem to tire on occasion. I’ve been giving him liquid b12 and feed flockraiser with nutritional yeast. I have a video which shows we’ll what I’m talking about but trying to figure out how to post.

Hi everyone-
Thought I’d try again to see if anyone who hasn’t seen might have an opinion.
One of my 2 young goslings has a wide stance/looks like enlarged hips. Struggling to find the cause and what I can do if anything. A vet has been unsuccessful due to no knowledge on birds like this. He walks sloppily and does seem to tire on occasion. I’ve been giving him liquid b12 and feed flockraiser with nutritional yeast. I have a video which shows we’ll what I’m talking about but trying to figure out how to post.
@Goosebaby @Miss Lydia
Some questions that might help to get help
where did you get the babies
how old are they now
when did the problem show up
what breed are they or unknown which is ok.
pictures can help also.

@Goosebaby @Miss Lydia
Some questions that might help to get help
where did you get the babies
how old are they now
when did the problem show up
what breed are they or unknown which is ok.
pictures can help also.
I’m working on making a link. May be tomorrow before I can post.
-My son bought them from the local big name feed store where he worked.
-Unfortunately the way they are displayed they are mixed with other goslings so I don’t know what breed they are.
-I’m estimating they are about 6-7 weeks old.
-The problems really became noticeable to me about 3 weeks ago which I’ve been struggling with finding answers by researching, reading articles and asking and posting pics and questions on BYC.
I thought strongly at first that it was a niacin deficiency but have been on top of it by giving him liquid vit b12 and giving them nutritional yeast at every feeding. I tried to get the durvet b complex but it was unavailable so that’s when I got the liquid b12 instead. Didn’t want to waste any time trying to help him. I’m thinking of ordering it now that we are discussing this.
-I have posted pictures of him but will do again. I will need to do tomorrow while we are outside, I couldn’t get a good view of his stance. He has also feathered out since.

I found your 2 earlier post one for angel wing and one for poop. But couldn't find any reference to hips except in your last post of the poop thing. do you have a link to that post.

I found your 2 earlier post one for angel wing and one for poop. But couldn't find any reference to hips except in your last post of the poop thing. do you have a link to that post.
I started the thread on March 7th under Vitamin Deficiency. Couldn’t figure out how to repost to you. It has an earlier pic attached to the first post I was trying to show the hip area and he has like a wide stance. You actually ‘liked’ the post so probably don’t remember it. The video I’m trying to link hopefully tomorrow will show what I’ve been talking about. He walks kind of wobbly almost sloppy so there’s got to be something wrong. His Angel wing I’ve got almost corrected. Hope this was what you was asking.

Vitamin B12 will not treat Niacin deficiency You need B complex TSC carries Durvet Liquid B complex and it would be a good idea to start your gosling on this 1 ml daily over a yummy treat just a small amount of treat so you see he is getting full dose. Nutritional yeast is good for supplementing niacin but even when we give it seems we can still have one that comes up with Niacin def. I may be wrong but since we're not vets we have to eliminate and niacin def is always at the top of the list.

The liquid B complex will say injectable but we use it orally.

Vitamin B12 will not treat Niacin deficiency You need B complex TSC carries Durvet Liquid B complex and it would be a good idea to start your gosling on this 1 ml daily over a yummy treat just a small amount of treat so you see he is getting full dose. Nutritional yeast is good for supplementing niacin but even when we give it seems we can still have one that comes up with Niacin def. I may be wrong but since we're not vets we have to eliminate and niacin def is always at the top of the list.

The liquid B complex will say injectable but we use it orally.
I agree! Yes I’m trying to get my hands on the b complex. Tsc used to carry it on the shelf but for some reason it’s not there now.

Back
Top Bottom