Will an aproned chicken tractor keep out weasels?

I can imagine moving the fence itself just fine. To be clear, I meant to depict not just the electrified fence netting, but an attached net overhead (attached to top with removable zip ties, which I read someone else did, likely for a permanent set up). It was a notion that came to me as the only real security, but it doesn't seem practical to move. If anyone can imagine doing it, maybe with my 3 other family members to help, let me know. Obviously some kind of center pole would come with it. Does that even seem feasible?
You wouldn't want to keep poultry netting in place long term. Vegetation will grow into the fence, causing electrical discharge. You'd have to move it. Trying to trim under it would result in accidents. I tried mine as a garden fence before I got chickens. Bad idea.

I think it's either mobile or covered. Or a tractor with net for next best thing to free range time.

Anecdotally, I've been fine on the predator front despite frequent flyover by golden eagles and the occasional hawk. I think I owe the local crows a thank you.

You wouldn't want to keep poultry netting in place long term. Vegetation will grow into the fence, causing electrical discharge. You'd have to move it. Trying to trim under it would result in accidents. I tried mine as a garden fence before I got chickens. Bad idea.
Good point, thanks.
I think it's either mobile or covered.
Not sure what "it" is, or what mobile or covered refers to, would you please clarify?
Or a tractor with net for next best thing to free range time.
Got that part, the net being the Premier 1.

Glad to hear your birds have been safe! We live next to large power pylons where the hawks love to perch, almost as much as they love the exceedingly tall Douglass Fir that has perfect vantage of nearly all of our yard. We get lots of birds, but not much for crows. On my wish list is a family dog/ chicken guard dog, but that's gonna have to wait a while.

Good point, thanks.

Not sure what "it" is, or what mobile or covered refers to, would you please clarify?

Got that part, the net being the Premier 1.

Glad to hear your birds have been safe! We live next to large power pylons where the hawks love to perch, almost as much as they love the exceedingly tall Douglass Fir that has perfect vantage of nearly all of our yard. We get lots of birds, but not much for crows. On my wish list is a family dog/ chicken guard dog, but that's gonna have to wait a while.
Woops, by "it" I mean your reasonable options. I mean, attaching a netting roof and moving is possible. But probably not a solo job or one you'd want to do often.

I grew up under power lines like that in SW Florida. Bald eagles from my back porch in the middle of the (small) city was cool. But no chickens to worry about.

It sounds like your situition may be difficult to balance complete safety vs. larger quantities of fresh grass. I've seen some stories here of folks who have more hawk activity in the mornings and therefore only let their birds roam in the afternoons. But I've seen tales of a hawk swooping in with humans standing literally right there.

No matter what direction you go in, I believe it's important that you not make it too difficult on yourself to keep up with. In my household, at least, the more painful and frustrating chores sometimes get put off longer than they should. Which reminds me I need to scrub the woodstove and brush the chimney....

I can imagine moving the fence itself just fine. To be clear, I meant to depict not just the electrified fence netting, but an attached net overhead (attached to top with removable zip ties, which I read someone else did, likely for a permanent set up). It was a notion that came to me as the only real security, but it doesn't seem practical to move. If anyone can imagine doing it, maybe with my 3 other family members to help, let me know. Obviously some kind of center pole would come with it. Does that even seem feasible?

It *might* be possible to come up with something that's both mobile and covered, but it's usually a "pick one" kind of choice.

I have a lot of hawks around here too, but fortunately a lot of natural prey that's probably easier to take down than the larger chickens -- picked deliberately for their size (larger birds are not hawk-proof, but more hawk-resistant than smaller ones).

I choose to take the risk of losing a bird now and then to gain the benefits of the large space. Some prefer the other side. Neither choice is inherently wrong. :)

I will note that people tend to underestimate the space needed to move a tractor frequently enough to prevent the grass from being completely destroyed.

Oh, and if you do go with poultry netting, the "premium" with closer poles and double spikes is worth the extra cost if you have uneven groud. We use PVC cut at an angle yo make a stake, and zip ties for the corners and saggy spots.

Definitely.

And buy extra stakes too. I'm always having to prop up saggy spots.

I will note that people tend to underestimate the space needed to move a tractor frequently enough to prevent the grass from being completely destroyed.
Good to know. How's (roughly) 1 acre per 6 chickens sound? Or maybe ½ acre if I'm to be extra conservative in my calculations...

Regarding hawk-resistant birds, I'm planning 4 large, 2 medium, and all dark colors and predator aware types, I've read, with the exception of the Faverolles, who is brighter colored than I would have gotten, and probably not great for predator awareness (though I'll be trimming her muff for her visibility). I put her back in the order after trimming her out, because she'd be such a stellar winter layer, and cuddly for the kiddos. If I have to go down to 4 or 5 for my yard size or tractor size, so be it. W/o the Favorelles it feels like a little more doable to try free ranging within a net, though I'd still fret. Also, if they fly the net, which I've heard both Americana and Faverolles can do, I'll be in a pickle, as we've got treasured garden beds with many unique specimens planted by a master garden who owned the property before me.

Last edited:
Good to know. How's (roughly) 1 acre per 6 chickens sound? Or maybe ½ acre if I'm to be extra conservative in my calculations...

Regarding hawk resistant birds, I'm planning 4 large, 2 medium, and all dark colors and predator aware types, I've read, with the exception of the Faverolles, who is brighter colored than I would have gotten, but such a stellar winter layer, and cuddly for the kiddos, that I put it back in the order after trimming it out. If I have to go down to 4 or 5 for my yard size or tractor size, so be it.

I can't give any numbers. First, I don't even know the thumb rules for that. Second, they vary wildly by climate, soil fertility, and time of year. But you're thinking on the correct scale. Some people, who don't know any better, think that they can move a tractor around a suburban back yard and keep their grass. :)

If you go to your local extension office, or a USDA web page, you should be able to get a map which shows your property and the estimated AU it can sustain. AU, of course, equals an "Animal Unit". I like the conservative numbers (based on take half/leave half management), 100 chickens = 1 AU.

Note that animal unit estimations are for intensive farming practice. Moving chicken tractors around pasture isn't intensive practice.

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/c...ges/how-measure-pasture-productivity-capacity

has a good ddescription, and links to the soil maps you will need.

Sharing a bit of my experience in case it's of help. I live on the Blue Ridge Plateau in southern Virginia boasting some of the best agricultural conditions in Appalachia. I've lived here 18 months, and am told last year was dry. 2021 saw 56" of rain, we're just under 22" for 2022. For about 8 months of the year we have lots of fog and mist that my weather station doesn't record, but keeps the soil from drying out. I tossed excess garlic into a ravine in the woods filled with sticks expecting it to die. I now have a "strategic garlic reserve" lol. Really easy to grow stuff here!

I acquired a flock in July of adult hens and POL pullets. During the growing season, I ran 10 chickens behind 100' of fence. I have about 1 acre of cleared land which also contains the house and garden. While the chickens wouldn't strip their area to bare earth, it seemed like about a week was the best time for them to be moved. They will dig holes, sometimes surprisingly deep. Before I was catching coop poops, I'd end up with a very concentrated pile that would have to be raked. Routine was to mark and mow new fence line, move the chickens, rake their prior area, mow and toss pasture seed before a rain. It took 2 weeks to start to see recovery, and about 5 weeks before plants looked strong enough for chickens (during prime growing season).

Starting fall 2021, I thought the chickens could help clear some weedy areas the prior owners neglected, fertilize the veggie garden, and clear a new garden expansion. I tossed a winter cover crop into the existing garden and the plot that will be additional garden space. They spent 2-3 months before moving, with an additional 50-200' of fence added. The garden's soil was already soft and they performed well there. I was surprised to find a handful of Austrian peas overwintered, but not much else has come up. The other areas, the chickens did not destroy any of the root networks so everything is coming back. A whole hill full of daylilies again. *sigh*

I believe a smaller area, like a tractor, would need to be moved more frequently than once a week. I've heard of "mob grazing" from folks like Joel Salatin - give the animals what they can eat in a day and they will take a bit of everything instead of just the tastiest bits. I cannot attest to the accuracy of that concept.

It could be that if you would like chickens to more or less till, a tractor with a smaller area could be better suited. Giving them more space is very conducive to gradually improving pasture through fertilizing and/or overseeding (which is my goal, plus having coop poops for compost). However, recovery time will be severely limited during cold and dry times.

I did find some information from Justin Rhodes to be useful, but he's redone his website since last I looked. I found a blog post with some math on how long it takes chickens to "till" X square feet. His "chickshaw" is worth a look as well if you're not already set on having a tractor. https://abundantpermaculture.com/

His "chickshaw" is worth a look as well if you're not already set on having a tractor.

My objection to the chickshaw is that it this system only works if you will ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT FAIL be there to open it up at the crack of dawn every single day of the year no matter what. It's not really a coop at all -- just a predator-secure roost -- and there is zero flex available if something goes wrong.

I'd consider it something for the experienced, full-time homesteaders only -- not for someone who has a job, a family with a lot of activities, etc. :)

Back
Top Bottom