Wobbly but energetic chick with healthy poops, appetite, and drinking.

Hannah12

Chirping
Apr 15, 2024
I hatched my very first egg almost a week ago. Baby is smaller than the other chicks I got from bomgaars but is also a few days younger. His wings are looking funny as well I’ll attach a pic. So he’s wobbly when he stands. Otherwise has great energy, drinks, eats, poops well, and is loved by all 9 other chicks. I incorporated him to the others but upgrading their brooder box and starting with him in it first. Slowly moved others over starting with the “nicest” ones I observed. That first night I isolated him because he seemed pretty tired. I gave him electrolytes and made a feed mash for him and he loved it. I say he because at this point he’s grown no tail feathers and his wings are one layer of feathers. That’s the most accurate way I’ve come across for seeing chicks, ya never know though!! He was just over twenty four hours old but fully dry and walking around as soon as he hatched I should mention. Any ideas what could be wrong. Still giving electrolyte once a day then switching with regular water over night. They’re all on medicated feed. Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or opinions. Thank you!
Btw, this is a long brooder there is a cooler section in the box and I check them every hour starting at 6am until 10-12pm depending on how late I decide to stay awake. So I’ve kept an incredibly close eye on these little dudes. 😊❤️

Attachments

• 91C445B5-09E8-4891-B236-33C29C0634E9.jpeg
    91C445B5-09E8-4891-B236-33C29C0634E9.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 0ED9C58A-A566-4CFD-BFDE-E75A82C67806.jpeg
    0ED9C58A-A566-4CFD-BFDE-E75A82C67806.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 2
Was your little one on medicated from the start? That stance is indicative of coccidiosis, yet his behavior isn't if he's running around, eating, and drinking. He also could just be cold. At a week old, he should have heat around 90F, and 85 next week, etc.

If he starts getting lethargic and not eating and drinking, I'd put them all on Corid. Stop the medicated feed at that time as both contain amprolium and they'd only need the amount that's in Corid.

Was your little one on medicated from the start? That stance is indicative of coccidiosis, yet his behavior isn't if he's running around, eating, and drinking. He also could just be cold. At a week old, he should have heat around 90F, and 85 next week, etc.

If he starts getting lethargic and not eating and drinking, I'd put them all on Corid. Stop the medicated feed at that time as both contain amprolium and they'd only need the amount that's in Corid.
I’m definitely keeping the temp appropriate and it is a long brooder so there’s an area that’s closer to 85 and the warmer area stays between 90-95:) I’m about to adjust tomorrow as that’s officially his one week mark. I got some Corid after he was still wobbly the third day actually! And the non medicated feed! I’m pretty new to this so I’m glad I was doing my research on the page right! Thanks for the feedback. I’ll continue monitoring :)

I’m definitely keeping the temp appropriate and it is a long brooder so there’s an area that’s closer to 85 and the warmer area stays between 90-95:) I’m about to adjust tomorrow as that’s officially his one week mark. I got some Corid after he was still wobbly the third day actually! And the non medicated feed! I’m pretty new to this so I’m glad I was doing my research on the page right! Thanks for the feedback. I’ll continue monitoring :)
It's actually too early for it to develop coccidiosis within a week, but that stance with wings out like that is a classic symptom of it.

Back
Top Bottom