Wood shavings in nesting boxes

LVVCHAP

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
PA
Can you use wood shavings in your nesting boxes or do you have to have hay? I don't have a good place to store hay very well but have plenty of wood shavings.

I use wood shavings because I'm so allergic to straw. It's a bit of a pain in the tookus. They empty those shavings from the box in no time and I have had a few cracked eggs as a result. I'm thinking about investing in some Excelsior nesting pads. I don't know why I can't bring myself to use hay. I guess I'm just greedy with it. Hay is food, and good hay is hoardable food.

I recently started using shavings in my nest baxes instead of hay and I LOVE IT!!!!. The hens don't seem to scratch them out near as bad and the eggs are staying MUCH cleaner.
I also did it because I didn' have hay available to use. It has worked great for me.

SC

I've been using wood shavings for several years. The eggs seem to be cleaner. Also,mites like to live in the hollows of straw and hay,especially in the Winter time.

Quote:
Me too!
big_smile.png

I use wood shavings as well. I put a lot in because they do seem to scratch to the bottome fast. To help prevent broken eggs you can put a cardboard square in the bottom. A little bit more cushion than a wood bottom. The Excelsior pads work great, but are over a $1 a piece. I will admit I just put some in, but only because we've had a few shell-less eggs lately. When the new layers get it together I'm going back to cardboard. I hate cleaning out an eggie nest! blech

Back
Top Bottom