Wood shavings in nesting boxes

I use a combo!! I know I wouldn't go without wood shavings...my neighbor has a wood shop!
wink.png

Quote:
What is that?!

I use a 5 gallon bucket with a hole cut in the middle...I also use shavings with no problem....I love that idea though...It made me think of recycling old litterboxes with lids!

I took 4 dishpans and was using them as I have seen many times here (just normal on a shelf or the ground), but my girls would not use them so I used tin snips and cut out a half circle then made identical cuts on each pan, drilled holes where I wanted to connect them with zip ties. The girls love them and of course fight over the same one.
*The litter boxes would be perfect, they are probably a bit larger and from the dollar store it would be a lot cheaper than most nest boxes you can make.

Last edited:
I use shredded paper in mine and they have great fun shifting it all about and making nests in it, plus newspaper is warm that is why tramps use it. I was worried about mites in straw or hay, But they seems to be very happy, they also adopted a milk crate as a roost, and we move it at our peril.

Jena

I like hay, but when I use it, one of my girls sleeps in the nest and poops it up. So, now I'm back to shavings, she doesn't like that and sleeps on the roost.
Personal choice!

I use wood shavings and find it easier to keep the boxes and the coop clean. I also use a dry vac system when we clean once a week. We layer the run with a good shaving base and add a bag every two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom