Ya'll, I messed up a little...

HazelandPearl

Songster
5 Years
Mar 16, 2018
Fernandina Beach FL
So, I was looking at new brands and the Purina layer oyster strong layer feed we had been using for my older 2 Buff Orpingtons that are laying. I was looking for an All Flock because our two younger Cochins are in the small flock now.... I thought I bought All Flock and yesterday I realized I grabbed the bag of Layena Oyster Strong crumbles by Purina. They all have been eating it for about 4 weeks now :( My Cochins are 12 weeks. I know this is way too much Calcium for my younger girls. Have I permanently damaged any organs? I will be getting an All Flock today and some Oyster shells for the side. Ugh I was busy with looking at different brands because the Purina Layena Oyster strong just doesn't ferment well in my opinion. I got my self all confused and walked away not even paying attention to what I had grabbed.

Oh, it's fine.... some folks will disagree and have a heart attack by this (they know who they are), but I think it's a bogus claim that a bit more calcium in chicken feed will cause roosters or younger birds to just suddenly keel over. Maybe if we are talking about calcium in the 50% range or whatever, but at such minimal percentage I highly doubt it will kill anything. It's more of marketing than anything, though of course there really IS an increases in calcium but in my humble opinion harmless to roosters and young birds.

Where you at calcium fear mongers? Get at ME@! :tongue:mad:

I'm happy to listen to the actual poultry nutritionists, who do recommend that only actively laying hens should eat a layer feed. Just buy something else next time, and have the oyster shell separate for the laying hens. Nobody 'drops dead' because of one month of layer rather than an all flock feed, but it's still easiest, and best, to feed a mixed age and sex flock something like Flock Raiser.
Mary

So, I was looking at new brands and the Purina layer oyster strong layer feed we had been using for my older 2 Buff Orpingtons that are laying. I was looking for an All Flock because our two younger Cochins are in the small flock now.... I thought I bought All Flock and yesterday I realized I grabbed the bag of Layena Oyster Strong crumbles by Purina. They all have been eating it for about 4 weeks now :( My Cochins are 12 weeks. I know this is way too much Calcium for my younger girls. Have I permanently damaged any organs? I will be getting an All Flock today and some Oyster shells for the side. Ugh I was busy with looking at different brands because the Purina Layena Oyster strong just doesn't ferment well in my opinion. I got my self all confused and walked away not even paying attention to what I had grabbed.
Don't be too worried about it. It does not do instant damage. Prolonged overdose of processed calcium is hard on the chickens liver and kidneys. Cracked oyster shells free-choice is a method that chickens will not overdose on calcium. I feed my mixed flock Alflock 2% calcium. The layers can supplement their calcium needs with the oyster shells. My chickens live long lives..... Pets only. :)
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Don't be too worried about it. It does not do instant damage. Prolonged overdose of processed calcium is hard on the chickens liver and kidneys. Cracked oyster shells free-choice is a method that chickens will not overdose on calcium. I feed my mixed flock Alflock 2% calcium. The layers can supplement their calcium needs with the oyster shells. My chickens live long lives..... Pets only. :)
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
I'm hoping my 4 pet only girls live a long happy life also!!!

I'm happy to listen to the actual poultry nutritionists, who do recommend that only actively laying hens should eat a layer feed. Just buy something else next time, and have the oyster shell separate for the laying hens. Nobody 'drops dead' because of one month of layer rather than an all flock feed, but it's still easiest, and best, to feed a mixed age and sex flock something like Flock Raiser.
Mary
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom