yawning, leg stretching, and side lying

lol! yeah, a couple of them were synchro stretching earlier this evening. it was too funny.
gig.gif

We have twenty-one, six week old chicks (every time we would go to the ranch store my girls would find another fuzzy friend who they couldn't live without). Just finished their coop and moved them outside today. When we went out to check on them this evening they were all alternating stretching out lying on their sides with one leg kicked back. They would stretch out, then stand and repeat. We thought it was cute until we started thinking maybe there was something wrong with the new coop. So happy to find this thread! It will put my wife and daughters minds at ease, as it has mine, to know that they are just relaxing. They are probably just happy to have so much more room. Silly chickens! Thanks BYC!

My Barred Rocks, who hatched on March 13th stretch out in the sun like that! They kick out on one side and spread a wing out. Oddly enough, my SIlkie and Sultan do not! I remember the babies looking like they were dead, laying on their sides in the brooder. It scared the crap out of me, until I got used to it. I miss having baby chicks! Mine are varying ages and the tiniest one is almost fully feathered now.
sad.png

My australorps are 7-10 days old now and are sort of roosting, in the sense that they have perfected their balance enough to perch on the roost for a few seconds until they get bored with it. But they still sleep in a big chick pile under the light. Our roost is a stick from the yard with the bark scraped off, maybe an inch in diameter and 1-3 inches off the ground.

And yes, the stretching is adorable. Mine sometimes fall asleep on their side with one leg stretched out behind them.

I must add a "me too!" to all the cute behavior comments. I had no idea they would be the cutest little things you have ever seen. The sleeping thing freaked me out at first. Like others said, often the chicks just nod off and drop to sleep. I could watch them all day.
Schimbare

Ha! I had to search "chicks stretching" today because I had no idea if it was normal or not...and came across this post. It TOTALLY looks like chick yoga, and is ADORABLE. They are too funny...I could just watch them for hours!

We should start a "stretching pics" thread to achieve cuteness overload. :)

Back
Top Bottom