yawning, leg stretching, and side lying

So glad I found this post was worried about my quail chick sleeping like this. I assume the sleeping behavior of quail chicks and chicken chicks do not differ much.

LOL I tossed a length of 2x2 scrap in the floor of my brooder and they like hopping off and on. Sometimes staying there a bit or playing king (queen) of the hill pushing each other off. I haven't seen the roosting on it yet. They are funny.

Oh thank you for this thread! I was starting to get worried about our Welsummer, Louisa. She always seems to have one leg stretched out. I thought it might be bothering her or she hurt it. Good to know this is typical chick behavior.

I thought my silkies melted. Took them out in the yard put them down and both at the same time did the one wing, one leg stretched laying on their side thing. It was hot so kinda concerned me. After a few popped up an was normal.

I thought my silkies melted. Took them out in the yard put them down and both at the same time did the one wing, one leg stretched laying on their side thing. It was hot so kinda concerned me. After a few popped up an was normal.
I know what you mean! I check on them a lot to make sure they are ok. It's funny though, lately as soon as I get close to the brooder, 7 heads pop up to look at me! I guess they know I'm checking.

Glad for this thread. I've only had mine for 24 hrs and they're much more calm and sleepy. I thought maybe they were all sick but when I disturb anything in the brooder, they all hop up. If I let them be, they settle in and go to sleep.

I have a 3 week old rooster. He lays on side stretching leg out, then does the same for the other side. Now he's starting to sit down n move his feet really fast. Like just sits down and scratches ground fast. I don't know if its normal. He is inside and has no friends. I took him from my 3 yr old nephew cuz a child should not have a baby chicken. So far he's growing up healthy just don't know why he does that? Do they have growing pains like humans?

I have a 3 week old rooster. He lays on side stretching leg out, then does the same for the other side. Now he's starting to sit down n move his feet really fast. Like just sits down and scratches ground fast. I don't know if its normal. He is inside and has no friends. I took him from my 3 yr old nephew cuz a child should not have a baby chicken. So far he's growing up healthy just don't know why he does that? Do they have growing pains like humans?
Sounds like he is taking a dust bath.
Do you have a tub of dirt for him?

Back
Top Bottom