Yeast infection or Gleet or ?? Please help

CdnMaple

Chirping
Mar 1, 2022
Northern Ontario Canada
A few of our chickens came down with a yeast infection. All are given good yoghurt every morning for probiotics, All chickens vents get checked every day now, as a precaution.

A couple got what I suspect was gleet, and unfortunately one did not fair well, and was euthanized. The other cleared up beautifully, so I thought, but she's still being given Monistat applied to the opening of her vent every morning. Last night I checked her when closing up the coop, and it appears something else is happening now. It doesn't look the same as either yeast infection or gleet. The area around her vent looks a bit dry, otherwise looks good, with some white stuff around the edges. Last night she had a wet discharge, possibly the runs? I bathed her before closing up the coop for the night, and put her back clean and dry. This morning she has smooth, white wet stuff sticking to her feathers. The coop floor below her roost had watery poop, that was a mix of clear liquid, runny poop, and white stuff. I tried to take a picture of her vent, it's a bit blurry, but hopefully someone can see something, and give some suggestions.

Thanks for your help.
Much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20221221_082748.jpg
    20221221_082748.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 20221221_082815.jpg
    20221221_082815.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 33
There looks to be some white crusty stuff around her vent, which makes me think she does still have a yeast infection. Have you tried giving her monistat orally or just topically? Sometimes the yeast moves up the digestive track and an oral antifungal might help.

Also I would not give yogurt everyday. Chickens can't digest it as well as people can and feeding it more than once or twice a week can upset their system.

@Razzlefrazzle The chickens have been getting about a tablespoon of yoghurt in the morning, then get their water and feed right after. I tried giving the Monistat orally, and they just lock their beaks, and turn their heads. I'll see what I can do with giving it to her orally today. It's so darned cold here today, I'm trying to not bathe her, just clean up with a wet cloth. and blow dry. Thanks for your info. Much appreciated.

There looks to be some white crusty stuff around her vent, which makes me think she does still have a yeast infection. Have you tried giving her monistat orally or just topically? Sometimes the yeast moves up the digestive track and an oral antifungal might help.

Also I would not give yogurt everyday. Chickens can't digest it as well as people can and feeding it more than once or twice a week can upset their system.
@Razzlefrazzle Thank you so much for your suggestion. I've had some success with giving her Monistat orally. She doesn't like it, but I found that if I gently place my finger and thumb on either side of her beak, she'll lick at my finger and get some Monistat. This morning I went to check her, and it's almost impossible to find her vent for all the fluffy feathers. It looks like discharges have stopped coming from her vent. I never thought I'd celebrate the look a nice pink vent. LOL

@Razzlefrazzle Thank you so much for your suggestion. I've had some success with giving her Monistat orally. She doesn't like it, but I found that if I gently place my finger and thumb on either side of her beak, she'll lick at my finger and get some Monistat. This morning I went to check her, and it's almost impossible to find her vent for all the fluffy feathers. It looks like discharges have stopped coming from her vent. I never thought I'd celebrate the look a nice pink vent. LOL
Nothing better than a fluffy butt! And so glad to hear your girl is doing better.

For creams and pastes I find making mini sandwich bites between pieces of bread a useful tactic for getting chickens to take their medicine. Most of my chickens see the bread and gulp it down in an instant, medicine and all, although I do have one girl who has realized my trick and now carefully takes the bread and wipes it on the ground until it's rid of whatever I'm trying to feed her :rolleyes:

Nothing better than a fluffy butt! And so glad to hear your girl is doing better.

For creams and pastes I find making mini sandwich bites between pieces of bread a useful tactic for getting chickens to take their medicine. Most of my chickens see the bread and gulp it down in an instant, medicine and all, although I do have one girl who has realized my trick and now carefully takes the bread and wipes it on the ground until it's rid of whatever I'm trying to feed her :rolleyes:
The yeast infection is still continuing. Ughhh. I give her Monistat orally every night. ( I was hoping that would work better). At one point, I thought she cleared up, then it came back. I stopped giving her yoghurt for a while, and started up again a few days ago to see if it'll help.
She has crusty stuff around her vent most days, I clean the vent area with a warm cloth every day. I was bathing her every day, but it started to wear down her feathers, and being so cold here, I didn't want to bare her butt. So, the warm cloth every day, and a bath every 2nd day. The feathers around her vent and the back of the tail are damp this morning. I've attached a pic from this morning.
She's eating, drinking, and and laying an egg a day. I give them some food scraps with either olive oil or beef tallow every morning, and late afternoon. (about a quarter cup of goodies for 2 chickens).
I've been given one more week to get her better, or she'll be dispatched. The coop she's in is supposed to be getting ready for a goat, and we can't put her in with the other chickens.
Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Attachments

• yeast infection Jan 22-23.jpg
    yeast infection Jan 22-23.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 32
I give her Monistat orally every night.
Monistat really works best given twice a day.

I give them some food scraps with either olive oil or beef tallow every morning, and late afternoon. (about a quarter cup of goodies for 2 chickens).
That's quite a bit of treats for two chickens. Aim for no more than 10% of the diet and be careful about extra fat as it can lead to a number of health issues. Also in terms of getting poop back to normal, I find keeping the diet plain (as in normal chicken feed) to be best.

we can't put her in with the other chickens.
What's the reason for this? Vent gleet isn't considered contagious and she might feel more comfortable back in the flock.

Monistat really works best given twice a day.

That's quite a bit of treats for two chickens. Aim for no more than 10% of the diet and be careful about extra fat as it can lead to a number of health issues. Also in terms of getting poop back to normal, I find keeping the diet plain (as in normal chicken feed) to be best.

What's the reason for this? Vent gleet isn't considered contagious and she might feel more comfortable back in the flock.
I thought sick chickens needed to be isolated. We put one other chicken in with her for company. If they can be put in with the others, we'll do that ... try to gradually introduce them. One sunny day last week, I kept both coop runs opened, then found them hanging out together in the yard. So, hopefully reuniting them will be easy.
@Razzlefrazzle Thanks for your help

If they can be put in with the others, we'll do that ... try to gradually introduce them. One sunny day last week, I kept both coop runs opened, then found them hanging out together in the yard. So, hopefully reuniting them will be easy.
Sounds good. I only isolate if I think it something contagious or if the hen is so sick that the others start pecking and bullying her. Still need to keep a closer eye on her, but it sounds like she'll be let back into the flock without much fuss.

I also thought I'd mention that acidified copper sulfate is sometimes used to treat stubborn sour crop/vent gleet if you get tired of giving monistat. It's just 1/4 teaspoon in one gallon of water (kept in a plastic, not metal, container). Never used it myself so I'd do more research if you want to try it, but there are folks on here who have had good results with it.

My hen also has this. Been using miconazole on and in the vent for a week. Took her to vet yesterday and they said she has some white spots in her mouth and tested them. They were bacterial. So told me to continue with the cream and gave me Clavamox. I’m confused but it is what it is. They’re the vet. I’m not

Back
Top Bottom