Your very last chicken... what would it be?

Faverollles for a very, very simple reason.
The only way they'll be faster or smarter than me is if one of us is dead.:D
20190917_171831 (1).jpg
If I got to keep a stable mind and body Dominiques and Speckled Sussex would have a huge place too but even now they're too smart and fast for my health.:)
20180910_101235.jpg

Easter Eggers, hands down. They are bold and curious, friendly and calm, and I don't have health issues with them. Hybrid vigor, I suppose. They get along well with each other, no squabbling (like my bossy BOs!). They don't go broody. They're good foragers but don't complain about being confined much of the day. Fair to good layers for most of their lives. And those beautiful eggs! The cockerels made good eating, very flavorful, and the one I kept is a good "roo" (right, I know he's not a year old yet ;), don't beat me!). Their coloring, for me, makes them less prone to predation. I can't think of anything I DON'T like about them. That said, I'm ordering a few Australorps this spring. Pretty black birds, brown eggs. We'll see how they do!

Edit: typos

Easter Eggers, hands down. They are bold and curious, friendly and calm, and I don't have health issues with them. Hybrid vigor, I suppose. They get along well with each other, no squabbling (like my bossy BOs!). They don't go broody. They're good foragers but don't complain about being confined much of the day. Fair to good layers for most of their lives. And those beautiful eggs! The cockerels made good eating, very flavorful, and the one I kept is a good "roo" (right, I know he's not a year old yet ;), don't beat me!). Their coloring, for me, makes them less prone to predation. I can't think of anything I DON'T like about them. That said, I'm ordering a few Australorps this spring. Pretty black birds, brown eggs. We'll see how they do!
X2!

Faverollles for a very, very simple reason.
The only way they'll be faster or smarter than me is if one of us is dead.:DView attachment 1953678 If I got to keep a stable mind and body Dominiques and Speckled Sussex would have a huge place too but even now they're too smart and fast for my health.:)View attachment 1953679
My SF are definitely very calm birds (not fast and don’t cause problems). Looks like the Dominque snd speckled Sussex are pretty crafty or sneaky...They have taken your scissors!

Edit: typos

EEs are pretty great! However, we have a couple of opinionated EE, one appears to currently be top hen, and she’s only about 8 months old!! The oldest ones are 20 months. we did give away 2 of the higher pecking order older ones, so maybe this EE took her chance and moved way up the pecking order! But love all the color variations in feathering and egg color.

It would either be Polish or Jersey Giants for me. Have never owned either of these breeds but I just absolutely adore them.

I think my first rooster was a BJG and he was awesome. He came with our first batch of laying hens and I had no idea what any of them were. We named him Elvis and he crowed pretty much around the clock, does yours do this? I really liked him.

Edit: sorry, I see you don't actually have one. My bad.

Back
Top Bottom