4 Week-Old with Gapeworm (Urgent)

macdog123

Hatching
Jun 16, 2022
Hi, yesterday I adopted a meat bird who was behind her flock growth-wise. She spent the night in my bathtub refusing to eat or drink and exhibiting raspy breath. Today, she finally drank some water and immediately gurgled it all back up every time.

Seems clear to me she has Gapeworm, she's gaping, shaking her head, almost always has her eyes closed and her poops are a mess.
My big question is whether or not ivermectin will treat this?? I keep seeing different things.

I have no poultry vet or big stores around me and I'm very worried she'll pass before I get the proper treatment, any help would be immensely appreciated

Do you see any bubbles or foam in either eye or nasal drainage? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full and firm, doughy, or puffy soft? Gapeworm is fairly rare, but both respiratory infection or crop disorders can cause gurgles or head shaking. To treat gapeworms, just in case, fenbendazole (SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or Panacur horse paste) can be given 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound for 3-5 days in a row. A 5 pound chicken would get 1.25 ml.

To make sure that her crop is working properly, feel of it in the morning at daybreak before she eats or drinks. Canyou try to get her drinking some fluids with electrolytes or a little Gatorade?

Do you see any bubbles or foam in either eye or nasal drainage? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full and firm, doughy, or puffy soft? Gapeworm is fairly rare, but both respiratory infection or crop disorders can cause gurgles or head shaking. To treat gapeworms, just in case, fenbendazole (SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or Panacur horse paste) can be given 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound for 3-5 days in a row. A 5 pound chicken would get 1.25 ml.

To make sure that her crop is working properly, feel of it in the morning at daybreak before she eats or drinks. Canyou try to get her drinking some fluids with electrolytes or a little Gatorade?
The only foam/bubbles I've seen were in her mouth. If anything I'd say her crop is on the doughy side. If it is a respiratory or crop disorder do you have tips for treating that? I will definitely try some electrolytes. I appreciate you SO much, thank you for your response.

thank you so much, I don't know which of the many things I've tried is working but she already seems improved!

Back
Top Bottom