Any Home Bakers Here?

I took the week off and I think I'm working harder not working.
1f62b.png

So true. I wonder sometimes how I did the things I did when I was working. I agree I am working harder now.

So true. I wonder sometimes how I did the things I did when I was working. I agree I am working harder now.

x2!

But it's ok, because I'm working more at what I want to work at!

Quote:
Retirement is hard work. My birds are a labor of love. Now I have to go out and move birds around so I cam put the bigger chicks out into one of the outer coops and have to clean out the coop for the chicks, block off the nest boxes so they don't get into the habit of sleeping in them.

Made some onion bagels, whole wheat sourdough bread and a blueberry coffee cake. Haven't had much time for baking with hatching season here so made some time for it.

Retirement is hard work. My birds are a labor of love. Now I have to go out and move birds around so I cam put the bigger chicks out into one of the outer coops and have to clean out the coop for the chicks, block off the nest boxes so they don't get into the habit of sleeping in them.

Made some onion bagels, whole wheat sourdough bread and a blueberry coffee cake. Haven't had much time for baking with hatching season here so made some time for it.

That's a lot of baking for one day, congratulations!

My First Pasta
jumpy.gif
Some bloopers and the rest a success.

I had wanted to try home made pasta back when it was discussed on this thread. So, got a KA pasta extruder attachment and gave it the first try today.
Right by the book recipe was way too dry, added a little water and it did quite well.

** had planned to get this for Christmas this year, but looks like KA is discontinuing it, so ordered it now to be sure it would be available - and was surprised in that this one was made in Italy and not China!!

Discards: tried large Macaroni but left off the die part that makes the holes
lau.gif

To the left are the Macaroni with the die complete. But decided to try the Fusilli - they came out straight, so got DH to help hand twist each.

I have pasta all over the kitchen and now to decide what to do with it.

My son and I made fettuccini over winter break- it was the old KA extruder from 30 years ago.
The noodles all stuck together and was a big noodle bugger.
We hand separated as much as possible, them he just rolled them out on flour folded them over hand cut them with a pizza knife.
They were REALLY tasty, though. I think I used NFC's recipe.
Once they are dry store them in ziplock and use them whenever.
I still have a bag of dried noodles

My son and I made fettuccini over winter break- it was the old KA extruder from 30 years ago.
The noodles all stuck together and was a big noodle bugger.
We hand separated as much as possible, them he just rolled them out on flour folded them over hand cut them with a pizza knife.
They were REALLY tasty, though. I think I used NFC's recipe.
Once they are dry store them in ziplock and use them whenever.
I still have a bag of dried noodles

The newer extruders don't have the fettuccini die - that's the only negative I could find in reviews.
Sorry they stuck together, would it have helped to lay them on flour?

Next time will dry and bag. These were almost dry - placed them in a bowl in fridge - gonna make a "spaghetti" baked casserole tonight.

But gonna try a cold pasta salad with the few macaroni's.

I want to try some colored pastas - spinach or tomato paste or tomato paste and carrots? Have seen some squid ones
sickbyc.gif

Thanks for reminder about NFC's recipe, will have to check it out.

We tried everything to keep them from sticking together, I think the openings in the die were too close together so as soon as they pressed out they pressed together, we managed to get some made by one of us continually spraying pam into the oncoming noodles. It was a hassle. Maybe that is why they no longer offer the die.
We hung them on the oven rack to dry them. My son thought of that. I thought it was clever, It kept them clean while they dried;

Yeah.. I have never gotten the squid ink. Is it supposed to be flavorful or just different?
I bet ronott1 knows!
@ronott1

We tried everything to keep them from sticking together, I think the openings in the die were too close together so as soon as they pressed out they pressed together, we managed to get some made by one of us continually spraying pam into the oncoming noodles. It was a hassle. Maybe that is why they no longer offer the die.
We hung them on the oven rack to dry them. My son thought of that. I thought it was clever, It kept them clean while they dried;

Yeah.. I have never gotten the squid ink. Is it supposed to be flavorful or just different?
I bet ronott1 knows!
@ronott1
I have noticed a flavor to squid ink. It is not that strong though.

Back
Top Bottom