Are tractor supply chicks healthy?

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I've bought chicks from tractor supplies a few times over the years, and have not had any serious health issues with them (no more so than with hatcheries). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your chicks.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have never purchased chicks from TSC but have brought home chicks from other local feed stores. TSC gets these chicks from the same place other feed stores get theirs. All chicks come from the closest hatchery to the area. This being said, I have never had any trouble with my feed store chicks. All have done well, stayed healthy, were very productive and have lived long lives. The nice thing about getting chicks from a feed store is you let them order and receive them, versus you ordering them and having to sort through any chicks that didn't make it through the shipping. This does happen. I like to them them handle all this and I don't have to deal with the stress of ordering them myself.

Good luck and enjoy all the chicks you bring home!! :)

Baby chicks are so adorable it can be easy to overlook some problems they may have. This is true regardless of the source./two

Really look over any chicks you plan to buy, check for proper beaks - you don't want cross beak (like scissors) in a chick, it worsens as the baby grows and makes eating difficult or sometimes impossible. Check that toes aren't curled up, gnarly, or feet splayed wide to the side. Check for sores, missing feathers etc. You don't want ones with oozing eyes, cough, or frequently opening their mouths like a gasp.

In fact if you see more than one or two chicks doing this in a bin - I'd walk away - they may have a disease or illness and the others have been exposed to it. It can prevent a lot of heartache. If you cannot have roosters do not buy from a "straight run," bin. Even sexed chicks can mature to be the incorrect gender. Adults & kids tend to pick up chicks and put back in the wrong bin so mistakes happen.

I'm not trying to scare you away, there are some beautiful fluffy, healthy chicks out there - just know the difference. Good luck to you.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! There are a couple of threads on TSC chicks you might like to check out https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/454249/tractor-supply-chicks I've gotten chicks from TSC in the past and been happy with them. You've gotten some good advice from above posters on picking chicks. TSC often won't let you handle the chicks, but will pick out ones you point to and let you check them over. The main problem I've seen is with chicks that are miss-named or in the wrong bin... try to know what the chicks of the breed or hybrid you are looking for look like.

Welcome to BYC! drumstick diva has given you some very good advice. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined the BYC "flock".

You've received some good advice already! I've never bought chicks from Tractor Supply myself, so I can't be of much help otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom