Can I keep buttons, bobwhites, and scaled quail together?

KenjiQuacker

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Issaquah Washington
Hello! I have a 20.5' x 14' aviary with lots of bushes and plants for the quail to hide in. They'll also each have separate coops at night time. I have a Tennessee red and a snowflake bobwhite, and a pair of blue scaled quail. I'm wondering if button quail would get along with them if they had lots of hiding places? I'm mostly worried about the bobwhites, since I've heard they can be aggressive to other quail, especially the Tennessee reds. The bobwhites I'm getting are ok with the other bobwhites, but not sure if button quail would get along with them.

Anybody have experience with raising bobwhites, scaled quail, and buttons together?

Thanks!

How do you plan to get them into their coops at night time? Quail normally bed down wherever they are at night.

How many do you plan to have? You could probably get away with a few of each, but mixing quail species is generally not a good idea.

One word of caution, button quail are tiny. They are likely to get hurt by the larger birds even if there aren't any aggression issues.

Edit: If you choose to try this experiment, it might work, but be prepared for casualties.

How do you plan to get them into their coops at night time? Quail normally bed down wherever they are at night.

How many do you plan to have? You could probably get away with a few of each, but mixing quail species is generally not a good idea.

One word of caution, button quail are tiny. They are likely to get hurt by the larger birds even if there aren't any aggression issues.
Im mostly likely just going to pick them up and put them into their coops at night, which will have straw and nesting boxes in them. The ones we're getting are very tame, raised from eggs, and will let you hold and them according to the person we're getting them from. For the buttons we'll have a heating pad in their coop (if we get them) in the winter.

edit- I meant to say I'll put them into their coops around late afternoon, before the sun sets so that they can get settled into their coops for the night. The coops are 10-18 square feet.

We're getting two blue scaled, two bobwhites, and if we get button quail most likely just 3.

Yes, i've heard they are very tiny. About the size of finches. I'll make lots of little hiding places for them that the other quail can't get into if I get buttons.

I have buttons hatching today. Here's something to give you an idea of size.
1616881015703.jpeg

If I know anything about my Coturnix, they would attack a button on sight. As far as your cohabiting plans go, I would say this is the worst one, a Bobwhite is five times the weight of a buttonquail and if it wanted to kill one it could.

Back
Top Bottom