Can I keep buttons, bobwhites, and scaled quail together?

If I know anything about my Coturnix, they would attack a button on sight. As far as your cohabiting plans go, I would say this is the worst one, a Bobwhite is five times the weight of a buttonquail and if it wanted to kill one it could.
I agree with you, but @KenjiQuacker has posted multiple threads and is obviously going to try it, so, as I said, be ready for casualties. There is a small chance that it will work, so we'll see.

I agree with you, but @KenjiQuacker has posted multiple threads and is obviously going to try it, so, as I said, be ready for casualties. There is a small chance that it will work, so we'll see.
No, I just post threads with questions about different things. Ive never posted anything about button quail, this is my first thread on button quail. Ive decided not to try it :)

Thanks!

In general, mixing different species of birds in one aviary is not a good idea. Different species have different nutritional, habitat and spatial requirements.
Typically a mixed aviary is huge in foot print. Most are either all males or all females. The males, in general, will get along fine as long as no hens can be seen, heard or smelled by the males. Females, in general, get along fine, other than an occasional spat, they do well together.

I have run both type aviaries, it's not a 'beginners' aviary.

Last edited:
In general, mixing different species of birds in one aviary is not a good idea. Different species have different nutritional, habitat and spatial requirements.
Typically a mixed aviary is huge in foot print. Most are either all males or all females. The males, in general, will get along fine as long as no hens can be seen, heard or smelled by the males. Females, in general, get along fine, other than an occasional spat, they do well together.

I have run both type aviaries, it's not a 'beginers' aviary.
I'm not planning on putting buttons in anymore, thank you. As for the other two quail species, do you think that the 20' 6'' x 14' would be good enough for a pair of bobwhites and a pair of blue scale quail? In another thread you said the pen had to be big but I don't know whether mines big enough.

@KenjiQuacker In all of the threads that you ask about mixing quail species, you have been told every time that it's not a good idea. If you choose to do so, you might be successful, but it's not likely, and you do so at your own risk.
Actually I've gotten mixed answers, and have decided to go the safe way with not getting button quail. Please don't assume that I'm just choosing not to listen. I'm just confused about the bobwhites and scaled quail, I've been told by people that it's ok, and by other people that it's not ok. Imagine this, the person I'm getting the quail from, who's owned quail for years, says they'll be fine, then a few people on the internet tell me I'm wrong. I barely know anything about keeping different quail species together so I'm sorry that I'm confused.

Thanks for warning me.

I'm not planning on putting buttons in anymore, thank you. As for the other two quail species, do you think that the 20' 6'' x 14' would be good enough for a pair of bobwhites and a pair of blue scale quail? In another thread you said the pen had to be big but I don't know whether mines big enough.
With any gamebirds, 'bigger' is better, the more space they have to roam around in a well landscaped enclosure, the happier the birds will be and less chance of territorial fights occurring....although, from time to time they may occur anyway!

Your enclosure, 20'.6" x 14' will probably be ok to raise two pairs. In the wild, here in South Texas, Bob's and Blues covey up in the fall, and winter over in mixed coveys after breeding season.

I have had community enclosures that were 50' x 100' and had Bob's and Blues together...there was occasionally a fight, some quite bloody but I seperated those and peace returned to the enclosure.

I understand the allure of having a mixed aviary, it is pretty cool when it works but as I said, "it's not for beginners".
Study, do your research and have the experince and knowledge gained by raising your first pairs before attempting a full blown mixed aviary.

I currently have a mixed coop with japanese quails, king quails and two golden pheasants. I even have a king quail chick in there right now without too many issues, but I don't recommend it. Mixing species, especially when the size difference is so large, is definitely a gamble. Also, bobwhites are notorious for being aggressive, so putting them with king quails may not be wise.

Back
Top Bottom