Fermenting Feed -- CONTAINERS

Chiks N Stiks

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015
Out In The Sticks
I am planning on starting to feed my new chickies fermented feed. I have read that fermented feed should not be made in plastic or metal containers, only glass. Finding large enough glass containers is a bit of a problem. Anyway, I thought I would check here to see if there is any truth to this? I have also read that chickens should be on a vegetarian diet, which is not healthy for chickens. So clearly, everything I read is not true. Just wanting to know the best way to prepare this. Thank you.

I ferment mine in a 5 gallon bucket i got from Home Depot with a lid. Do not use metal as it can leach into the feed. I do not like as glass as it can shatter. most people i know use plastic buckets or trash cans. I like to keep it simple. 1 part dry feed to 1 part water. Let sit for about 3 days to begin fermenting. The longer it sits the stronger the ferment and the better the probiotics. I back slop which means when it gets low to about a single feeding, i fill it back up using the same ratio. It is usually ready to feed by next morning.

You do not need to add ACV with mother, but it will help to kick start it. I use grower crumbles purchased from my feed to store to create my FF. I started with chick starter when they were young, but now that i have a mixed flock i just use grower. You can get as fancy as you want or keep it simple when it comes to making the feed.

This thread is the best when it comes to questions about FF. Even though it is about meat birds, the process is the same for layers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds/17070#post_15326199

Thanks. I looked at the thread and didn't see a recipe that included ACV with the mother. Do you know the proportions? I'm also thinking about adding in some rolled oats.

Back
Top Bottom