HELP!! Automatic egg turner not turning???

Sammysmom

Songster
11 Years
Jul 15, 2008
Saint Johns, AZ
Okay, so I just got a brand new Genesis Hovabator with egg turner.
celebrate.gif
I put the eggs in this morning and my egg turner is in the exact same place it was at 7:00 AM. The motor seems to be working, I can feel a difference when the unit is unplugged. I realize it's supposed to move slowly but the instructions say it is supposed to make one revolution every four hours. Any ideas what could be wrong?
idunno.gif

Feel the motor, is it hotter than the surrounding temperature in the incubator?

How many eggs are in the incubator and what size?

Mine shorted out because I had Jumbo eggs hatching in the bator...it didn't say the eggs had to be a certain SIZE to work ya know??? LOL

I thought one of mine was not turning. Every time I looked at it it was in the same place too. Then I checked it in about an hour and it really had moved. Just look at it more often and you might see that it has moved. Make sure you don't have it overloaded with large eggs.
If you know that it hasn't moved, just put your eggs on the wire screen and turn them yourself until you return the turner to where you bought it. If you ordered it they might send you a replacement motor for it. Just change them out and plug it in and watch it for a couple of hours. Put it back into the bator and replace your eggs. Nothing to it. Always run new equipment for a couple of days before putting your eggs in.

Good luck with your turning and your hatch.
fl.gif

I ran into the same "issue". It took me a day or two to finally catch it in a different position. And in all the candling I did, I think I only ever caught it in rotation once or twice. I guess a way to check for sure (not when you have eggs going, of course) would be to find a small cup that would fit in one of the egg cups and then fill it with a non-toxic substance (like honey) that is sticky or colorful, so when it rotates back and forth, it should leave a residue you can hopefully see sloping up on either side.

My eggs are regular size chicken eggs. No jumbos! The motor doesn't seem to be overly hot. I guess I'll have DH take a look at it this evening after he gets home from work. I made sure I ran the incubator first before I put eggs in, just didn't think to run the turner as well!
th.gif

Here's my experience. When I put the turner in the bator I had not put the little white arm in the slot. Check out the pictures. Not sure if this applies here but might be worth a look.

Click on the pictures to see a large view.

If you remove the turner to fix it make sure you take the eggs out first. I dropped a couple that way. Hope you find out what is the matter with it. I didn't notice I had mine right until the next day. As it turned out is was fine.

What Ma_Kettle suggested was going to be my suggestion. This happened to me when I first got my Hova Bator and turner out. It freaked me out to be honest! lol! Thank heavens that my DH figured it out for me.
smile.png

Does it move slowly, like a clock? I can't see that mine is working either. I have one (Genesis 1588) that I bought off Craigslist and everytime I looked at the eggs they were in the same position. I read the instructions and it said that it moves very slowly. But no matter when I looked at them they were still in the same position. I unplugged the turner and I am turning them by hand--still in the turner but I swivel them around half a turn--3-5 times a day.

Yesterday, I received my new incubator (Genesis 1588) with the turner and this morning I plugged them in. It seems as if this turner isn't moving either....
hmm.png

My eggs are regular size chicken eggs. No jumbos! The motor doesn't seem to be overly hot. I guess I'll have DH take a look at it this evening after he gets home from work. I made sure I ran the incubator first before I put eggs in, just didn't think to run the turner as well!
th.gif
I just started using my new incubator with the auto turner and I'm baffled. My old still air turn it yourself was the best incubator I always had excellent hatch rates. This new fangled turner just tilts them ever so slightly every 2 hrs. When I turned them myself, I actually turned the eggs over 3 to 4 times a day. How is this tilt considered turning? Am I just old and out of touch!

Back
Top Bottom