Help! Guinea Eggs Hatching One has what looks to be a birth defect

Livie98

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 27, 2014

My husband & I found 18 Guinea eggs outside. We brought them in & placed them in an incubator. Today we had 1 hatch & we were all super excited until we noticed it struggling to stand. It's been 4 hours now since it's hatched & still is not standing & there is a sack attached to it. Some people have told me this is a prolapsed anus & I am terrified of what's wrong or what will happen. We've never hatched eggs before so all of this is new. Please help! I've attached a picture to see if anyone knows what's wrong. I'm afraid to remove this keet in fear of what will happen to the other eggs still in the incubator.

Alright do you have a squirt bottle handy ..........

Now I do very little hatching my self as I found it to be uncomfortable to say the least so I got my some hens .....

See a broody pullet best way to go .....

But you also couch t me with a incubator full of guinea egg's ...

Oh a bunch of guinea egg's .....

But I still prefer this method
smile.png

Go ahead and ask your question
celebrate.gif

I am waiting
pop.gif

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:
Yes but the incubator is on lock down because of other eggs that are cracked

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!
You might want to post in the Emergencies or Guinea forums https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/45/guinea-fowl https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures It looks like might be an unabsorbed yolk sack. If you have a bunch of other eggs waiting to hatch and the keet is just laying there quietly you probably just want to let him be and hope he absorbs the yolk. If you take him out, you might try putting the keet in a small jar or plastic tub to let it continue absorbing the yolk sack without being disturbed, not sure if you have seen it, but the Hatching Eggs 101 article talks about open navels and unabsorbed yolk sacks etc and some things to try, about 3/4 way down the page same idea if chicks/ducklins/keets etc. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 this article talks about problems with yolk sacks https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis Good luck with the keet.

Yes but the incubator is on lock down because of other eggs that are cracked

Well you really don't have a problem just a early hatch and you should put a damp paper towel or in next tine but if you see drying out or sticking you might want to give him a light blast of warm water but if you have to open the incubator make sure the room is at least 100 F degrees as that should have been the temp you used on a forced air incubator or 102 for a still air incubator ......

The bathroom is a good place as you can run hot water to bring up the humidity .........

I was told this is a prolapsed anus and I should put the keet down. What do you this is wrong & do you think this keet will make it. He has went the bathroom in the incubator but is still not standing on his own and it's been 5 hours since he hatched

I was told this is a prolapsed anus and I should put the keet down. What do you this is wrong & do you think this keet will make it. He has went the bathroom in the incubator but is still not standing on his own and it's been 5 hours since he hatched

Way too soon to put it down and you say he went to the bathroom that is a good sign and I see is a early hatched chick who needs some recovery time and to give him 3 day's is not much and you are in lock down .....

This is Num N@#! now he is about 7 pounds and 30 weeks old and had the same problem and all he needed was a couple of day's to pull himself together but I did squirt him and yes he spent 3 day's in the incubator .....

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about your baby guinea!
hugs.gif
You've received some great links and advice above.

That's great news! What will happen to that sack? Also is it ok to leave him in there 3 days (I thought you had to remove them within 24 hours).

That's great news! What will happen to that sack? Also is it ok to leave him in there 3 days (I thought you had to remove them within 24 hours).

He hatched with three day of feed that was the last step before hatching and after everyone else hatches you can give him some water and in most cases he will suck it up as his body is not even together yet and the growing cycle hasn't even started yet and if you put him down now that is totally up to you but he really has a chance to grow up to be healthy and strong .........

Back
Top Bottom