How does grief work with ducks?

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
I'm just curious, if I were to die, would my girls be okay and live as normal, or would they grieve and actually... Notice. I'd just disappear, so would they grieve, or forget, or be confused?

I know that sounds weird but I'm just curious if they would realise and actually think about it, if they'd grieve as though a flock mate died?

It would result in them going to new home, my family wouldn't keep them, they've told me so, so there'd be a lot of change in their lives and I'm curious how that would affect them or if they'd handle it okay?

I had to say, your title almost gave me a heart attack, as I thought something had happened to one of your girls.

As to your question, I think its hard to say. Some animal grieve when someone they were close to dies, but others (at least appear) to not really even notice.
Do they miss you when you are away from home?

I had to say, your title almost gave me a heart attack, as I thought something had happened to one of your girls.

As to your question, I think its hard to say. Some animal grieve when someone they were close to dies, but others (at least appear) to not really even notice.
Do they miss you when you are away from home?
I've never been away from home. Whenever my family go on holiday I stay behind with them so they've seen me every single day. Even when I'm sick I look after them

That's why I'm not sure how they'd take it
And sorry, yeah I should've thought about that-- they're okay, it's just a curiosity I had

I left my drakes with a duck minder for a week in September. Although I spend time with them daily, I don't think they noticed I wasn't there and my friend was caring for them!! My puppy did notice. Although she was with a caring dog minder and was OK for the week I was away, she was over the top joyful to see me when I got back!!!

I'm about to go away again and leaving the boys with my friend/duck minder again. Betcha they don't notice!!!! [Puppy coming with me this time]

Last edited:
I'd think they'd be more confused and wonder where you went since you didn't die in their space where they witnessed it. Just speculation though
When I had rodents as pets years back, I'd always leave the companion in the enclosure for a short while after they'd passed, to allow the remaining one to realise and grieve. That always seemed to help from what I saw

So I suppose yeah, that wouldn't be case here and they'd probably think I'd left them...

I left my drakes with a duck minder for a week in September. Although I spend time with them daily, I don't think they noticed I wasn't there and my friend was caring for them!! My puppy did notice. She was with a caring dog minder and was OK for the week I was away, she was over the top joyful to see me when I got back!!!

I'm about to go away again and leaving the boys with my friend/duck minder again. Betcha they don't notice!!!! [Puppy coming with me this time]
I've left my dogs for a few days before, they do tend to get upset! My Storm would likely stop eating and everything if i dissapeared!
Dogs are angels

Do you know the traditional English song "On Ilkley moor baht 'at?

In sum if you go on Ilkey moor without a hat you will catch your death of cold and be buried; then worms will eat you up but then ducks will eat up worms [so ducks will have eaten you!]
of course people will then eat the ducks

It's in broad yorkshire dialect, but I just found a translation:

Translation
Where have you been since I last saw you, last saw you?
On Ilkley Moor without a hat
Where have you been since I last saw you?

You have been courting Mary Jane

You are bound to catch your death of cold

Then we will have to bury you

Then the worms will come and eat you up

Then the ducks will come and eat up the worms

Then we will go and eat up the ducks

Then we will have eaten you

That's where we get our own back

Do you know the traditional English song "On Ilkley moor baht 'at?

In sum if you go on Ilkey moor without a hat you will catch your death of cold and be buried; then worms will eat you up but then ducks will eat up worms [so ducks will have eaten you!]
of course people will then eat the ducks

It's in broad yorkshire dialect, but I just found a translation:

Translation
Where have you been since I last saw you?

You have been courting Mary Jane

You are bound to catch your death of cold

Then we will have to bury you

Then the worms will come and eat you up

Then the ducks will come and eat up the worms

Then we will go and eat up the ducks

Then we will have eaten you

That's where we get our own back
An... interesting song, I don't eat ducks, but ahh the circle of life is a terrifying thing 😂

Back
Top Bottom