Shadrach

Roosterist
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 31, 2018
Bristol UK
My Coop
My Coop
This is Pinch, she got attacked by a hawk.

Pinch day 2 (Large).JPG

Pinch recovering.JPG

I saw the hawk leaving as I arrived having heard the general panic alarm one morning.
When I examined her I couldn’t find any broken bones but it looked as if one of the hawks talons had pierced her eye. Apart from this obvious injury she seemed relatively unscathed. When I picked her up she was obviously in shock. I’ve had other chickens here die from shock who have had relatively minor injuries.
The vet that deals with fowl here isn’t available until mid afternoon, so I made Pinch as comfortable as I could,carefully cleaned around the eye with ph neutral water and waited to see if Pinch would show any signs of recovery. By mid day she would drink water with a vitamin supplement mixed in and could stand unaided. It seemed to me that Pinch still had the will to live so I took her to the vet that evening. There wasn’t much the vet thought she could do for Pinch that I wasn’t already doing. Pinch got prescribed Metacam, some eye drops I already had and a short course of antibiotics.

Pinch lived with me for nine days. I fed her a liquid diet through and adapted syringe which allows the hen to drink rather than injecting the liquid down their throats and Pinch drank her liquid diet eagerly. She would drink yogurt with honey, puréed sardines, Gazpacho, pureed cat food, water with vitamin supplements

At night she slept in a plastic pet carrier balanced on top of the nest box I have in the house and during the day she rested on my bed or in the chair next to the nest box. I took Pinch out every day for exercise and while she was happy standing and walking short distances she walked in circles unless she was ‘steered’. On day 3 she laid a shell less egg. By day 4 Pinch showed interest in grooming. Day 5 she attempted to wipe her beak on the ground but had trouble locating the ground. Day 6 and 7 Pinch tried flapping her wings and could unsteadily hop of the chair to the floor and I could see she was trying to focus when she heard familiar sounds such as other chickens who came by. Day 8 her previously circular walk started to straighten up a little and Day 9 she spent a couple of hours outside and looked as if she was on the road to recovery. On the morning of Day 10 she looked unwell and a couple of hours later she died on my bed as I sat beside her.

This Hannah, she got attacked by a hawk
Hannah (Large).JPG

I heard the chickens give the general panic call but when I checked they were all alive. It wasn’t until an hour or so later that I noticed Hannah was missing.
I eventually found her at the bottom of a bank. She was still breathing and her eyes still focused.
Hannah had a wound on her back and while it was a serious wound ,I’ve had chickens recover from worse.
I carried Hannah up the bank towards the other Muscovy ducks where I could sit and examine her better. Hannah died on my lap.
I wont reproduce the list of the chickens and Muscovy ducks that have died here over the last 7 years; it’s long. I have to accept that free range fowl get attacked by predators and there are lots of predators here It’s a National Park so killing predators isn’t an option and I probably wouldn’t if I could.
Most people here know the sadness and feelings of helplessness when a predator gets one of their chickens.
I hear a general panic alarm almost every day and go as quickly as possible to the normal strike sites to look for the injured. Every time my heart is in my mouth and I dread what I’ll probably find.
I know for all but the very lucky, or the very tough, that when it’s a hawk strike the chances of them surviving are slim, but I still go just hoping that this one will be a survivor.

My intellect tells me that I’m putting myself through a great deal of stress and sadness and it might be better all round to let nature take its course and just bury the dead when I find them.
My empathy and concern makes me check every alarm I hear knowing I’m probably too late.

What do others do and how do they cope?

With predators, especially in your situation, it’s difficult to find a safe space for your birds when free ranging. There’s really not much that you can do especially with hawks. The best chance your birds have with avoiding hawks is having a large area with netting on top or a large bush for them to hide in or run to. As for the birds, if this keeps happening and birds keep dying I wouldn’t necessarily give up on saving them but at the same time i wouldnt get my hopes up on their survival regardless of a veterinarians help. Chickens are very feeble and veterinary medicine doesn’t aid much in attack recovery. I wish you and your flock good luck

Last edited:
Can you set up a fenced area (it doesn't have to be expensive or fancy) that will provide a least a small amount of security from predators during the day? Covering it with netting, or even just running string or wire across it in a grid can discourage hawks. So semi-free range I guess, depending on how large. I always either try to save them (if there is hope) or end the suffering quickly if it is beyond help. Yes, it's hard to lose them, but they are often quite resilient if they survive the shock and don't have internal injuries or seriously major ones. Honestly, it's your call based on what you can handle and how much time you are willing and able to put into them. I find prevention to be easier in the long run. I have an enclosed and covered run, and an open fenced area that's fairly large. They can run into the closed run, and there are bushes and shrubs in the open run that they can hide under.

. Chickens are very feeble and veterinary medicine doesn’t aid much in attack recovery.
I have to disagree with your statement, chickens have in general demonstrated a very strong will to survive and have some amazing healing powers. That coupled with proper medical card gives excellent survival odds.

I have to disagree with your statement, chickens have in general demonstrated a very strong will to survive and have some amazing healing powers. That coupled with proper medical card gives excellent survival odds.
That’s fair, i have had some chickens quickly recover from an injury I never thought was possible but chickens have the tendency to get better over a period of days and then drop dead. This has happened to me a few times.

Can you set up a fenced area (it doesn't have to be expensive or fancy) that will provide a least a small amount of security from predators during the day? Covering it with netting, or even just running string or wire across it in a grid can discourage hawks. So semi-free range I guess, depending on how large. I always either try to save them (if there is hope) or end the suffering quickly if it is beyond help. Yes, it's hard to lose them, but they are often quite resilient if they survive the shock and don't have internal injuries or seriously major ones. Honestly, it's your call based on what you can handle and how much time you are willing and able to put into them. I find prevention to be easier in the long run. I have an enclosed and covered run, and an open fenced area that's fairly large. They can run into the closed run, and there are bushes and shrubs in the open run that they can hide under.
I can't for a number of reasons.
They are not my chickens.
They free range over 4 acres and have over the last 7 years. Any enclosure that would provide anything like that amount of freedom would be vast and way beyond my budget and the owners sense of aesthetics.
My study is on free range chicken behavior.
Putting in the time and effort isn't a problem. I was just wondering how others cope

That is how I cope, I have a big predator problem. I have a coop/run. I have an older rooster. I seldom find day time predation birds, they just disappear. I have come to accept that I am going to loose some. I do not doctor birds. If they make it, they do, if they can’t I put them down, but I have only found a very few in 12 years of chicken raising. I put that bird down. I do not free range on a schedule as in everyday, but they often go out and about.

And of course losses, means we can have new chicks. Which are fun. I don’t keep individual chickens, I keep a flock. The birds come and go.

If your study is on free range behavior, the vet is not part of that. And I don’t see the difference in keeping them in your house verses keeping them in a coop/run. I have found a free range animal is very uncomfortable in either the presence of people or buildings of any kind. So bringing them in to treat would be very frightening for them.

I have also lost birds to coons at night. Ugh!

No matter when, they always get your favorite. Sometimes I will miss that one for a while, but the best cure is new chicks.

That is how I cope, I have a big predator problem. I have a coop/run. I have an older rooster. I seldom find day time predation birds, they just disappear. I have come to accept that I am going to loose some. I do not doctor birds. If they make it, they do, if they can’t I put them down, but I have only found a very few in 12 years of chicken raising. I put that bird down. I do not free range on a schedule as in everyday, but they often go out and about.

And of course losses, means we can have new chicks. Which are fun. I don’t keep individual chickens, I keep a flock. The birds come and go.

If your study is on free range behavior, the vet is not part of that. And I don’t see the difference in keeping them in your house verses keeping them in a coop/run. I have found a free range animal is very uncomfortable in either the presence of people or buildings of any kind. So bringing them in to treat would be very frightening for them.

I have also lost birds to coons at night. Ugh!

No matter when, they always get your favorite. Sometimes I will miss that one for a while, but the best cure is new chicks.
Your point about the vet not being part of free range behavior is very interesting.
The problem is you're right, but I can't not try to save the injured that I find.
There is a difference between wild and free range and if these were wild fowl then what you write about being uncomfortable in buildings I would agree with.
The chickens came and still come and go in and out of my house of their own free will.
I didn't encourage them, nor did I chase them out.
They have coops, I even have a hospital coop and usually the sick go in that.
I am slowly coming to a similar outlook to yours; if they make it good, if they don't, that's sad but......
I also think your view on letting the old go and the new take their place a sensible outlook.
However, I still get attached to the chickens in general.

There are lots of outlooks and philosophies on chickens, are they livestock or pets or something in between, there is no one right or wrong answer. Do what your conscience dictates. Some people go to extraordinary lengths to save them, some do little to nothing, it's really personal choice and neither is really fair to criticize. We all come from different places and beliefs, as long as it isn't cruelty or neglect, regardless of what my personal choice would be, I always try to respect how others view it. And there are always considerations of time, effort and monetary resources, we all have limits. Do what you think is best and that which you can live with.

I think also that regions put different definitions on words and phrases. We are cattle ranchers, and our cattle range, not in barns. So when someone says free range to me, I see no fence or coop. Just semantics. I have never had a live chicken in my house unless they were day old chicks, and by day 3 my hubby was complaining.

I find the idea of living with chickens walking in and out of my house totally different than the region I live in, to me that is a pet. So I questioned are we doing the free range deal, where they are out in the wild, or the house pet.

Coach723 says it exactly right, we all do it our own way that works for us and our life style. The end results is the best way to do it, is what you yourself is most comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom