Is it better to let them die?

I free-range my chickens, and by that, I mean there is a building they go in at night, I close/lock the door, and I feed them each day, though a large majority of their food in the warmer month is bugs/grass/etc. There is no fence involved. I have lost a few to hawks and some to other predators, though for the most part, mine do very well.

I lost more to hawks at first and I did take steps to try and prevent hawk attacks. I hang CDs up in the trees so maybe the light they reflect and move would confuse hawks. I have a lot of areas where chickens can take cover if they see a hawk. I have a very good rooster, and I have a decoy hawk and a decoy owl in two different parts of the yard. I do not know if any of these things are why I am seeing less hawk attacks or if it is just a coincidence.

As for trying to save chickens that are attacked by hawks, I would suggest you continue trying to help if you think there's a possibility it would work. Last year, one of my chickens was attacked by a hawk. She wasn't there when I locked them up at night and I searched around the yard and found her with two gouges in her shoulders. She could not walk. I separated her from most of the other chickens, putting one very docile chicken with her so she would have company. She eventually ate and drank if I placed food beside her. I put antibacterial cream on her wounds. I don't have photographs of them, but they were alarming to say the least. They were pretty deep, and I did not know why she wouldn't walk. I carried her around the yard, too, and sat with her for a little bit each day so she could eat grass. She fully recovered, though slowly, over the span of about a month, and she is a healthy happy chicken now: one of my favorites. I am very glad that I tried to save her.

There have been other times I tried to save chickens and it just didn't work. I think it's always worth the effort, but to each their own.

Here's the one I managed to save. She is also my profile picture:
full

(She's missing some toenails and some toes were broken and didn't heal completely right, but she can walk fine and doesn't seem to be in any sort of pain at all.)
full

I free-range my chickens, and by that, I mean there is a building they go in at night, I close/lock the door, and I feed them each day, though a large majority of their food in the warmer month is bugs/grass/etc. There is no fence involved. I have lost a few to hawks and some to other predators, though for the most part, mine do very well.

I lost more to hawks at first and I did take steps to try and prevent hawk attacks. I hang CDs up in the trees so maybe the light they reflect and move would confuse hawks. I have a lot of areas where chickens can take cover if they see a hawk. I have a very good rooster, and I have a decoy hawk and a decoy owl in two different parts of the yard. I do not know if any of these things are why I am seeing less hawk attacks or if it is just a coincidence.

As for trying to save chickens that are attacked by hawks, I would suggest you continue trying to help if you think there's a possibility it would work. Last year, one of my chickens was attacked by a hawk. She wasn't there when I locked them up at night and I searched around the yard and found her with two gouges in her shoulders. She could not walk. I separated her from most of the other chickens, putting one very docile chicken with her so she would have company. She eventually ate and drank if I placed food beside her. I put antibacterial cream on her wounds. I don't have photographs of them, but they were alarming to say the least. They were pretty deep, and I did not know why she wouldn't walk. I carried her around the yard, too, and sat with her for a little bit each day so she could eat grass. She fully recovered, though slowly, over the span of about a month, and she is a healthy happy chicken now: one of my favorites. I am very glad that I tried to save her.

There have been other times I tried to save chickens and it just didn't work. I think it's always worth the effort, but to each their own.

Here's the one I managed to save. She is also my profile picture:
full

(She's missing some toenails and some toes were broken and didn't heal completely right, but she can walk fine and doesn't seem to be in any sort of pain at all.)
full
She's a lovely looking hen. What breed is she?
The chickens here get let out in the morning before the sun comes over the ridge (it gets hot very quickly here under direct sunlight, even in the winter) and at dusk, most of them go into their coops. There are fences here but I made pass through places. The chickens could if they wanted roam the rest of the National Park.
They tend to roam over 4 acres, staying within eyesight of their coops, more or less.
There was a time when quite a few lived in the trees at night, all but two return to their coops voluntarily now. I think its reasonable to describe this arrangement as free range.
They have lots of cover,but the land is in a shallow valley and the hawks sit in the trees on the ridges watching for opportunities. There are 3 or 4 favorite strike spots.
The chickens don't go in any of the other human habitations here (there are two others) just my house. First one came in and bit by bit others followed. I don't mind the visits, they've given me the opportunity to watch behaviour I doubt I would see by trying to observe them outside.
There will probably come a time when the loss rate becomes unacceptable. A change in fox population prepared to risk daytime hunting for example.

We are surrounded by woods, and my chickens come out of their locked barn every morning, and go back in on their own in the evening. I have hawks seasonally more so, but they can be here year round. All birds of prey are protected by federal laws, with prison terms and large fines if killed. I don’t know how many people have suggested shooting them. That is just the risk with having free range chickens, and mine would not be happy unless they can do it.

My free ranging area has numerous pine trees, and when one flies over, the rooster calls them all to go under a tree. I have lost a couple over the years if they didn’t get to cover in time, and those were bantams. One half blind polish hen was run into a chainlink fence, and the hawk pulled her head off on the other side.

It sounds like you do what most people would do for a hurt animal, and I agree with giving first aid. Usually they will live unless they have internal injuries. I would never keep my chickens from free ranging at least on several acres, but I think they do need hiding places from hawks. Tables, trees, shrubs, shade cloth attached between posts, old camper tops, and other things can be good for that. Sorry for your losses.

@aart
It's very simple. The problem I find with feeding by syringe is due to the way chickens drink. This allows them to get a beak full and tip their head as normal.View attachment 1515817 View attachment 1515818
Very interesting, I assume you hold the syringe and cup vertically and dip the birds beak in the cup? Definitely a safer alternative if bird is able and interested in drinking.

@casportpony check this out, and maybe link your oral meds article?

Very interesting, I assume you hold the syringe and cup vertically and dip the birds beak in the cup? Definitely a safer alternative if bird is able and interested in drinking.

@casportpony check this out, and maybe link your oral meds article?
About 45 degrees so the chicken dips its head a bit. It has its problems though. You're bound to know this, but chickens have a habit of suddenly twisting their heads sideways when you try and 'persuade' them to eat or drink something. A tight grip on the syringe is needed:barnie

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place, for sure. I haven't lost any of my girls yet, so can't say how I cope, I do know I would do what I could to save them, if it seems reasonable for their quality of life. I think it is not in your nature not to try, you've taken over care for these birds because you felt they needed better than what they were getting. The only way to avoid the pain is to not care. Or not have them. It doesn't sound like either of these are an option for you.

Back
Top Bottom