Is this feasible?

RNshark

Chirping
Apr 23, 2021
Virginia
I hope to build a fairly traditional coop/run - and to add a long, hardware cloth covered, long “tunnel” around the perimeter of our property which would protect them while they wander during the day. (We’d probably have a gate of some sort separating the coop/run area from the tunnel, which we’d close at night.) Would the chickens return to the coop area for food & water throughout the day or would we need to create food/water stations every few yards? Would it be hard to recall the chickens to the coop in the evening, if they’re at the other end of the property? Would chickens even like the tunnel idea? Otherwise, I could put them in a tractor & to shuttle them to various parts of the yard during the day and then back to the coop at night...but I’m not sure how hard it is to get all the chickens in/out of the tractor.

I've seen some pretty elaborate chunnels so pretty sure that would work fine, as far as navigation. Unless you're talking hundreds upon hundreds of feet of tunnel, they should be able to navigate back to home base for food and water without issue.

As long as they're homed to the coop they should return at night without you needing to do anything.

Wanted to hear more about this great plan @RNshark ,
but maybe it's just theoretical at this point? because......
Our HOA does not allow chickens. We can’t even grow vegetables if they can be seen from the road. My immediate neighbors are delightful, but they pronounced it “quaint” that I cooked with the herbs I grew (back yard neighbor’s trees have thrown my backyard into shade, so I can’t grow them any more).

Wanted to hear more about this great plan @RNshark ,
but maybe it's just theoretical at this point? because......
It’s absolutely theoretical. If I am going to bring any living being into our lives, I feel strongly that I need to be as knowledgeable & prepared as possible, to ensure that they receive the care they need/deserve. Therefore, I am trying to figure out a realistic, workable plan to allow them to safely free range (as well as all other aspects of chicken husbandry), or I won’t be getting any chickens.

It’s absolutely theoretical. If I am going to bring any living being into our lives, I feel strongly that I need to be as knowledgeable & prepared as possible, to ensure that they receive the care they need/deserve. Therefore, I am trying to figure out a realistic, workable plan to allow them to safely free range (as well as all other aspects of chicken husbandry), or I won’t be getting any chickens.
If you can't have chickens in the HOA it's all moot.

If you are looking for future hens when you buy a farm, I would suggest searching on here. Google search your question as they usually pop up threads from this site.

We most definitely are not allowed to have chickens here. I will not be getting chickens until we move to the country.

A tip for moving to rural land and building:

As soon as you have your house site picked and your septic plot laid out start planting your fruit trees, grapevines, etc. Don't wait until "the right time" because fruit takes a long time to mature and bear. :)

We had our muscadines planted 2 years before the house went in and they'll have their frist crop this year.

Back
Top Bottom