New Arrivals

JeanJacket

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2022
One of our hens just hatched 3 chicks so far. She still has 5 more eggs. This is her 3rd time raising babies, but her first time doing it alone. One of our other hens usually goes broody at the same time and they co-parent.
This is her second attempt this season. We have a hen that is eating the baby chicks. Why is that happening?

That is not common but can happen for a number of reasons.

Do you have at least two nest boxes? They usually recommend 1 for every 4 birds but if you've got this issue and only two hens, I'd have two boxes.

What are you feeding them? They should be on a layer or all Flock feed and have oyster shell available in a separate dish.

Do they have plenty of room in the coop? It should be at least 4 square feet per bird.

If you think you have everything right, then I'd separate the hen with the eggs to another place where they can hatch without other chickens able to get to them, or put that cannibalistic hen somewhere else while the other hen is hatching eggs. There shouldn't be an issue after the chicks are a week old, but I'd still not trust that hen.

Back
Top Bottom