New member introductions

drmm

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2024
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am fairly new to chickens. I got my first group about 2 1/2 yrs ago and a second group about 2 yrs ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I currently have 13 hens - I lost one recently (not sure why) and one of my ladies is currently a house chicken (after having wry neck)

(3) What breeds do you have?

I believe I have Isa Browns, Sapphire Gems, Black Copper Marans (?), Silver Laced Wyandottes and at least one Olive Egger.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love the personality of the hens, collecting the eggs and just knowing that I'm providing for myself, my family and giving the ladies a good home.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I am a very crafty person. I like to do wood-working, resin art, painting and polymer clay sculpting.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I currently live with my two young adult sons. We have two smaller dogs that would probably be considered seniors. I love animals. I am a college financial aid counselor so coming home and spending time in my chicken run is a brilliant way for me to wind down and destress. I will likely be moving soon (letting my son have my house) and preparations have already been made for my ladies where I'll be moving. They will have a larger coop and lovely run. I'm looking forward to retirement so I can spend more time enjoying my chickens - maybe get a rooster.....maybe.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC as I was researching being a backyard chicken owner. Many times I would input a search topic and BYC was almost always one of the first websites to pop up. I decided to join the group so I could really learn as much as possible to be as responsible in raising chickens and hopefully provide assistance to people considering raising chickens in their back yard. I do consider my chickens a little more than just livestock but realize that having the whole lot of them in my house is probably not practical.

Back
Top Bottom