Odd colored Coturnix quail chick

4theLoveofBirds

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2016
Benson, AZ
I hatched out some coturnix quail a little over a week ago and was curious if anyone has ever had a black chick? Legs/feet are black and beak is black. Chick fluff is black, some yellow stripping on the head. Feathers appear to be coming in black on the wings. Person I got the eggs from says its dark range tibetan but when I look up pics online I see nothing that looks like the chick or any adult pics that show the dark coloring coming in. Anyone here have pics to share?

I have similar-ish chicks, which are either single factor tuxedos or double blue faces. They were black with white markings on the ears and neck, but are getting brown feathers now. ^^

I still think they look like little bear cubs.
tongue.png

Ahh thank you! That is so helpful to see others. I haven't noticed any dark brown lacing on his/her wings yet but I guess I will have to take a closer look now with better lighting when I get home. Also, I am not sure mine has the little white spot under the beak. hmmmmm. Very cute, thank you so much for sharing.

This

Turned into this

And then turned into this

In the pic above, she's next to the Yellow looking quail :)

All black with beautiful red tipped feather patterns in the sun with a white beard and one or two white feathers on her chest
1f61c.png
Can hardly notice hehe.

Last edited:
Oh thats so pretty! Now I am wishing I had more than one of this color. How dominant of a color is it? I have a pretty interesting mix of colors from this group, they seem to be really feathering out fast all of a sudden in the last 24 hours. Now I am anxious to get home and take pics to show you guys.
wee.gif

Oh thats so pretty! Now I am wishing I had more than one of this color. How dominant of a color is it? I have a pretty interesting mix of colors from this group, they seem to be really feathering out fast all of a sudden in the last 24 hours. Now I am anxious to get home and take pics to show you guys.
wee.gif
Once the babies start getting their feathers, you can look away for 5 mins and look back and see new ones popping up XD It feels like it was just yesterday when they were little fluffballs.

I have a chick which has black feet and a pink middle toe on each foot. It is very dark with extraordinary "eyebrows"

It is getting very dark feathers on it's wings. Shall see how it turns out.

Wonderful photos from Binki. Just shows you how unpredictable their colours can be as chicks.

That light coloured one of Binkis is a gorgeous Manturian. I have 2 and would certainly like a few more. Thanks for sharing guys!

Ok. So I tried really hard to get good pics but the little boogers move around so much and my lighting could be better (they are in my bathroom at the moment,lol). Color input on them would be much appreciated as I am so new to this.

Back
Top Bottom