Official BYC Poll: Do You Wear a Mask or Respirator When Cleaning Your Coop?

Do you wear a mask or respirator when cleaning your coop?

• Yes - Everytime I'm in the coop!

Votes: 35 5.2%
  • Yes - Only when doing a deep clean

Votes: 152 22.8%
  • Yes - Whenever I scoop or scrape off the poop board

Votes: 40 6.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 75 11.2%
  • I used to, but I don't anymore

Votes: 13 1.9%
  • No - Never

Votes: 203 30.4%
  • No - Is that something I'm supposed to do????

Votes: 126 18.9%
  • Other - Please elaborate

Votes: 23 3.4%

• Total voters
Pics
I really wish my hubby would mask up, even with just a bandana or gator when he's cleaning the coops. We use PDZ, and that crap can really damage lungs. He coughs a lot while cleaning. I use a medical mask when I clean my little coop in the front yard and when I clean my house chicken's enclosures. The dust and down feathers are massive. Plus, you have to think, that dust flying around is like aerosolized poo. I do NOT want that in my lungs.
Photo of Coco just because.
20230526_153856.jpg

The first time I deep-cleaned the coop, I ended up in the ER on Albuterol. Chicken dust is highly toxic, carrying pathogens that, when breathed in, can cause lung disease. This is what the ER doc told me. I couldn't inhale enough air to exhale well. I suggest that everyone should wear a mask when disturbing the bedding or nesting material or even dusting down the cobwebs.

View attachment 3746024

We all know how much dust those birds can create, so I'm just wondering who wears some kind of respiratory protection when they are in and around the coop - and when!

Have you had any issues from not wearing a mask?

Please vote and leave a comment below!
I do when the wind is blowing, because it stirs the dust up. My coop floor is about 3ft off of the ground, so I stand in the coop and I just sweep the litter into a tote on the ground. I'm well above the dust as the litter falls. If the wind is blowing I wear a dust mask and safety goggles, because of prior experience!

View attachment 3746024

We all know how much dust those birds can create, so I'm just wondering who wears some kind of respiratory protection when they are in and around the coop - and when!

Have you had any issues from not wearing a mask?

Please vote and leave a comment below!
yes, we always wear a mask when cleaning coop, it's so dusty and dirty, i feel it is definitely needed

If you cough or blow your nose & see brown dust in your hanky afterwards, it means you should have worn a mask. I have seasonal allergies & asthma so I do wear N95 masks whenever I am running sanders, spray painting, or when shoveling/cleaning in coop or pigeon loft. A few times I had only planned on briefly scooping under poop perches, but then decided to do more...well you know if you kick up dust, the PDZ stuff, & see it in the air, or wheeze & find you need to get some fresh air outside, you might as well get a mask. It is worth it, give your lungs a break.
Spray paint! I learned this early on - first time I ever spray painted a piece of furniture. I worked on the balcony, doors and windows closed, just a tiny little bookshelf. Later in the day I found orange dust everywhere inside on the window sills. Through the closed windows! I only paint with a brush now…

Back
Top Bottom