Peachick is an EYE PICKER - younger peachick chick badly injured

QueenMisha

Queen of the Coop
9 Years
Jan 14, 2015
Placerville, California, USA
I had my first peachick hatch about 1 week ago, from a single adult pair I purchased last year. The other 2 eggs of the same age did not hatch. I attempted to place first a turkey and then a chukar of a similar age into the brooder as a friend, but had to remove them shortly after as he picked their eyes red and raw.

I had another peachick hatch yesterday, once again the other 2 eggs did not hatch. I let the chick dry for most of the day, then placed him in the brooder with the older peachick. The older peachick immediately began to pick the younger's eyes, so I removed the picking chick to a brooder with 33 chukar in it. He didn't seem to be attacking any of them, so he remained in there overnight, until I saw that he was definitely picking them this morning.

I fashioned a divider in my plastic bin brooder, using old towels hung long-ways from a metal support which goes across the top of the brooder. I placed their feed/water bowls on the edges, thinking that it seemed secure. I just came back after being gone for the day and the younger peachick's eyes are severely picked at, very red and swollen, and he still has vision but doesn't seem to be tracking properly. I more or less tossed the picking peachick back into the chukar brooder, since he wasn't causing near so much havoc in there.

Is there a way to curb this behavior? I can't imagine they make peepers for such a small bird, which was my first thought. Is there another way to prevent it? Is this behavior likely to continue into adulthood? If it does, I think I'm actually more looking for a peafowl recipe, since aggressive birds are NOT welcome in my flock.

Last edited:
This may be of no help to you.. but i have a chick that is an eye pecker. It is now going almost a week and a half old. I have tried to reintroduce the chick to the brooder with the rest of the chicks countless times with no luck. every time soon as the chick is in with any other chickens no matter the size he goes straight for their eyes. Their eyes are swollen shut and or bleeding.. I have read that some people file or just slightly trim the tip of the beak just so it is uncomfortable for them to peck at the other birds.. if you don't do it past the blood line in their beak it will grow back and not harm them. I personally couldn't do this for my chick, was too scared to hurt him.. I am now beginning to believe I will have to keep this chicken separate until he can be made into a stew...

good luck!

This may be of no help to you.. but i have a chick that is an eye pecker. It is now going almost a week and a half old. I have tried to reintroduce the chick to the brooder with the rest of the chicks countless times with no luck. every time soon as the chick is in with any other chickens no matter the size he goes straight for their eyes. Their eyes are swollen shut and or bleeding.. I have read that some people file or just slightly trim the tip of the beak just so it is uncomfortable for them to peck at the other birds.. if you don't do it past the blood line in their beak it will grow back and not harm them. I personally couldn't do this for my chick, was too scared to hurt him.. I am now beginning to believe I will have to keep this chicken separate until he can be made into a stew...

good luck!

I've definitely considered debeaking... it's not an ideal option IMO but if this continues it may be the one I go with.

I had my first peachick hatch about 1 week ago, from a single adult pair I purchased last year. The other 2 eggs of the same age did not hatch. I attempted to place first a turkey and then a chukar of a similar age into the brooder as a friend, but had to remove them shortly after as he picked their eyes red and raw.

I had another peachick hatch yesterday, once again the other 2 eggs did not hatch. I let the chick dry for most of the day, then placed him in the brooder with the older peachick. The older peachick immediately began to pick the younger's eyes, so I removed the picking chick to a brooder with 33 chukar in it. He didn't seem to be attacking any of them, so he remained in there overnight, until I saw that he was definitely picking them this morning.

I fashioned a divider in my plastic bin brooder, using old towels hung long-ways from a metal support which goes across the top of the brooder. I placed their feed/water bowls on the edges, thinking that it seemed secure. I just came back after being gone for the day and the younger peachick's eyes are severely picked at, very red and swollen, and he still has vision but doesn't seem to be tracking properly. I more or less tossed the picking peachick back into the chukar brooder, since he wasn't causing near so much havoc in there.

Is there a way to curb this behavior? I can't imagine they make peepers for such a small bird, which was my first thought. Is there another way to prevent it? Is this behavior likely to continue into adulthood? If it does, I think I'm actually more looking for a peafowl recipe, since aggressive birds are NOT welcome in my flock.
is this a white chick?

Back
Top Bottom