Sacrificing Chickens-The truth

Quote:
In all my years I have not seen a ritual regarding a sacrifice of a dog, only heard it from the elders that the worst case scenarios require a dog. I have only heard of one that took place in Michigan where a german shephard was sacrificed. From the elders, they told me that only a dog is sacrificed when a person becomes very ill and is possessed by demons/evil spirits. There is a story of the dog and the Hmong. When God created the Hmong, god said that he does not want animals and hmong to see evil. So god gathered all of the animals of the world and the Hmongs and lined them up. He took hot ashes and said to everyone and everything that he does not want them to see evil spirits, and dusted everyone's eyes until they could not see the evil spirits but only everything around them. God dusted the Hmong's eyes and asked, "could you still see the evil spirits?" The Hmongs answered, "Yes I still can." And then god kept dusting the Hmongs eyes and other animals eyes until they saw no more evil spirits. BUT, the dog was very intelligent, he lied to god that he could not see the evil spirits, even though he did. So after all of this God sent everyone from his creation to earth and that is why the Hmong believe that the dog can see spirits. They also believe that evil spirits are very very afraid of dogs, so when a person becomes possessed, a shaman is called over to perform a trance ritual. The dog is asked to retrieve the kidnapped soul back from the evil spirits to the body and stand guard for one whole year. Then the dog is slaughtered and of course, eatened. (Hmong rarely eat dogs, it's a taboo for them, but the ill must eat it) The jaw of the dog holds the soul of the dog and is given to the shaman. After one year, the shaman will go back into a trance ritual to release all the sacrificed animals he performed the following year to go to heaven and reincarnate. The possessed soul of the ill will then be in the hands of the house spirits to govern and protect it from being possessed again.

I also forgot to add, all animals sacrificed is paid an amount of money. It is a piece of ritual paper that is folded and then burned to pay the animals for it's assistance. God says any animals with money paid for it's assistance will have a first pass to reincarnate, the animals can use that money to buy a better next life.

Interesting stuff..
smile.png

I live in WI and I have quite a few Hmong friends and it angers me greatly when people talk lowly of them. I love to chat with my coworkers who are Hmong as well. I have learned many interesting things talking with them. I have learned about rituals for the babies. or when a loved one dies. I have learned some of the customs. I am very open minded anyway but learning these facts from them makes me feel even more open minded. When i was little my parents were(and still are) pretty close minded.. my dad.. he helped me realize there was nothing different about anyone else of different origins.

I am glad that you have shared and opened other peoples eyes even if it's just a tiny bit.
smile.png

ETA.. The Hmong around this area just celebrated their Hmong New Year. I so badly wanted to go but we have had so much going on in our household it just wasn't possible. I would love to go next year and im hoping for great weather like this year.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hmong Rituals in funerals is the most complicated. It can require the sacrificing of 10+ cows, 5-7 pigs, and up to 60+ chickens. It is a 3 day non-stop 24 hour funeral.

The only thing I go for at Hmong new year is the food, ESPECIALLY the grilled farm-raised chickens!

I know the more prominent the person who passed away, the longer it can be, or if they have trouble with the soul. My friends talk about what they do for the funerals. As if just holding one isn't enough, all the cooking and so forth. id rather be the one who passed away lol. I really am glad i get to learn from my friends though.

Back
Top Bottom